Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Hydraulic Jack Plate Question

I've been all this board with questions trying to set my 20xdc with 250R (325hp flash). So far have minimal success getting it set up. When I set the motor high enough to get it running good on top end, it blow out breaking on plane, so lower it down, comes out of the hole great but loses all its top end. So I've decided to invest in a hydraulic jackplate.

I'm looking at a Bob's Extreme Gen 3 Action

Question: 8" 10" 12" 14" ?????????????(I'm running a 12" manual now, and I have a 14" manual).

2. Member
    That's a great idea , I never understood how a boat could be set up without a hydraulic plate , different weight loads , running in rough water , I always would pull out of the hole with the motor lower and as soon as I am on plane I would raise the motor to a setting for one person or two.
    I am not knowledgeable about new mercs but the 20 I owned I ran a 12" plate.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

3. Banned
    What year engine???... And what plate and size are you running now???... Dan

I would think the new 250r needs a 14”...I just put a 15” on a 21 XRD that will be receiving a 300r shortly.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

5. Member
    I swapped from my 14” hydrodynamics and went with a 14” Bobs action jac

6. Member
    Dan, My motor is a 2020, and I'm running a 12" manual currently. I used to run a 14" when I had the 280, went to a 250 Sport and was told a 12" is best. Now I've got a 2020 250R (with a 325hp flash) and never knew really what size of plate I should be running.

Reading the posts above, it sounds like maybe a 14" might be the ticket

7. Member
    Everyone says the Bob's is the way to go. Has there been issues with the Atlas? I have several buddies who are running Atlas, but not on a Bullet. Just wondering why folks seem to prefer the Bob's on Bullets?

8. Member
    I researched and think I found my answer: Both are good quality, no known issues with either brand. Bob's is almost 2 times faster raising and lowering, which in the case with most Bullet owners, the quicker we can get the motor up the faster we can haul a$$. Bob's also supports and tests their product on off shore racing applications, which to me would for sure find any week links if there were any.

I just ordered a 14" Bob's action jac........

9. Member
    For me the deciding factor was The Bob’s is a solid 1 piece build. The atlas is a regular 4-6” (I think) hydraulic plate with an extra separate add on piece like a channeled angle rail for the setback spacing. So it’s actually 2 separate parts to make the full jackplate. I could be totally wrong but when I looked into making the decision on which one I wanted that is what I came across and did not want a 2 part jackplate. I got my Bobs from Rich at Hydrilla Gear, had it powder coated blue and it took about 2 weeks or so to get it.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sowenssw View Post
    Bob's is almost 2 times faster raising and lowering, ....
    Not sure that's an advantage , maybe a disadvantage when trimming or jacking I prefer slow small adjustments and let the boat catch up then more adjustments . I believe newbie Bullet drivers complain about chine walking because of to fast trimming etc without letting the hull catch up. Just my opinion
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

11. Member
    Personally i'm running a 12" plate with a 2" spacer on my 20XD/300XS. It's cheaper and lighter to do it that way.

I'm also running a bobs, no issues with the fast jack. When you get use to it it just becomes 2nd nature.
    Last edited by hyperflow; 05-30-2020 at 10:49 AM.

The atlas is too flimsy. Leave it for the rangers and such. 14 or 15” is what youll need

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

13. Member
    Makes since on getting the motor to high too quick. A person can for sure over trim a Bullet too quick, they don't require near as much trim typically. I've never ran a hydraulic jack plate so will be interesting. I've been running my same Bullet for 17 years and I've always ran it 1-1/2" to 1/3/4" above pad on a fixed plate, depending on what motor and prop I was running.

I'm getting the hydraulic plate to keep it from blowing out at break-over, then be able to raise it to where I would normally run the motor above pad. If it didn't blow out on break over I wouldn't bother with the hydraulic plate, but sounds like there are other advantages other than the one reason I'm going with it.

Some guys I fish with (none have Bullet's or Alli's) say its like hydraulic steering, once they've had it they will never own a boat without it. I hope I'm that sold after I use it a while.

Great info guys, thanks so much for the help!!
    Last edited by sowenssw; 06-01-2020 at 01:46 PM.

If i was ordering a new bullet today i wouldnt get one. If i was running a big cookie cutter i might but a bullet, especially a 20, doesnt need it. Some props blow out more than others- some just pull the whole time

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

15. Member
    These new R motors are completely different motors than the XS motors. The props don't act the same on the same boats. And trying to prop one out doesn't seam to be an easy task. If you get a prop big enough to bite and pull on the break over there a dog to get out on. Prop it to come out good and they blow out on break over. Very frustrating
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlt20xd View Post
    These new R motors are completely different motors than the XS motors. The props don't act the same on the same boats. And trying to prop one out doesn't seam to be an easy task. If you get a prop big enough to bite and pull on the break over there a dog to get out on. Prop it to come out good and they blow out on break over. Very frustrating
    Thats exactly right. Normally I've always been able to find a happy place and call it good, but even then was leaving some on the table on one end or the other, but it was always where I could live with it. With this R it seems if I get out of the hole good, its a low 80's boat, if I prop it and raise the motor to run in the 90's then it literly will not get on plane because of blowing out on break over (and that's with a light load).

I sure didnt want to spend the money on the hydraulic jack plate, and I'm not sure that will cure my issues, but I have literlly tried a dozen or more props that were all tried and true on the XS, but the R didnt respond anything like the XS, so I'm kind of grasping at straws at this point.

17. Member
    My 2020 21RDC with 300r 1.75 and 30 BRV 5 PowerTech has a very good holeshot. About 5 seconds fully loaded with full gas and empty live wells. My motor is at 1.5" above pad and prop has no vents open. I am also able to run low 90s with same load.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clint21xd View Post
    My 2020 21RDC with 300r 1.75 and 30 BRV 5 PowerTech has a very good holeshot. About 5 seconds fully loaded with full gas and empty live wells. My motor is at 1.5" above pad and prop has no vents open. I am also able to run low 90s with same load.
    I would like to add that while the BRV 5 runs really good on my boat with good holeshot and top end, it is VERY trim sensitive. On more that one occasion I have been running upper 80s to 90 and bumped the trim one more time trying to get a little more and it blowed out. This has never happened with my Bravo FS 32. Not sure if anyone else has had this problem but be careful with them until you k ow how yours reacts.

19. Member
    The 21 SS and SST are different yet. Even from the 21- 10 boats. it's crazy how these motors set up different.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clint21xd View Post
    Clint21, you have reached my goal. If was able to get out of the hole good and run low 90's same as you I would be very happy. At 1" above pad, with a 29 Bravo Lab my hole shot is super great, but I can only run mid 80's due to the low rpm's and the low motor height, if I go to 1-1/4" above pad it blow out and slips on break over (no matter how I try and peddle it) and falls completely off pad. I was able to get it on pad one time at 1-1/4" above pad, about shook the motor apart and over rev'd, but managed to get it on pad, ran low 90's with no prob. So my thinking is with the hydraulic plate I'll be able to drop the motor to get on pad then raise it as needed to get the extra rpm's and run out on top.......at least that's what I'm hoping to do.

I have a 2003 20XDC (comp hull) with a 2020 250R (flashed to 325hp), 1:75's sporty.

This thing has completely blown my mind, my logic is with this set up, getting on plane and running 90's should not be an issue, but so far that's not been the case at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast