brand new dexter vault hub cap throwing grease

Bought new boat. Brought it home 200 mile trip. Noticed one of the dexter vault hub caps at black tip had grease around it and thrown all over the tire and mag? Wonder just a cap problem or maybe brake heating problem? i've had 5 Triton boats and never seem grease come out the front of the vault.

2. Member
    Mine did same, new cap fixed it.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

3. Member
    Well i had to install all 4 of the vault hubs caps. They all were slinging grease. These were the "dexter" type vault hub caps. All my other Triton boats had what said "The Vault", they never leaked. Benchmark Trailers sent me a warranty form to order, caps, O ring, hybrid grease from dexter. Took 3 weeks to get parts. Boat is brand new 2020. Anyone else have trouble with the dexter vault hub caps.

4. Member
    Sure someone didn't pump to much grease in ,it's gotta go somewhere

Little insight gentlemen. The vault cap is simply held in place with interference fit and an O ring to seal. Just went through a buddies trailer with spun bearings and Vault hubs. The Vault cap was missing on hub with spun bearings. Most pictures I see of failed bearings the cap is missing. Does a pot hole cause the loose fitting Vault cap to fly out and then cause bearing failure? If it's loose enough to leak, I suggest many bearing failures are because the hub threw a cap. When installing his new cap in hub, it wasn't secure. I drilled and tapped hub and installed a couple SS 8-32 set screws to hold it secure. It aint going no where. No leakage.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dwoods View Post
    Sure someone didn't pump to much grease in ,it's gotta go somewhere
    Can't do.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.