Thread: mercury xr6 oil

mercury xr6 oil

Anyone ever run anything other than mercury oil? My engine seems to run sluggish after idling for a while, thinking of trying lucas land and sea.

2. Banned
    My XR6 has been drinking Merc Semi Synthetic oil since I bought it in 2005. Don't waste time changing oil brands. I promise that wont fix your problem. Carbs need cleaning? Plugs fouled? Fresh fuel? Fuel pump?
    First thing I would try is running a cocktail of carb cleaner and fresh gas through the engine with rabbit ears on it in your driveway. Search on-line for the many videos showing the process and recommended cleaners. I've done this with great results.
    Merc makes good oil and the XR6 is touted as one of the best motors Merc has ever built.
    Good luck.

P.S.
    I ride a motorcycle. If you want to get really confused, go on a motorcycle forum and ask "What is the best oil for my bike"?
    Last edited by marlake; 05-28-2020 at 10:33 AM. Reason: additional input

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and update your post with the REQUIRED info (serial number). Thank you!

I agree- using what the manufacturer recommends (Premium Plus) is not causing your concern/complaint.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I use Pennzoil Premium Plus with no problems in my 2.5 200