Live scope black box question

new to Garmin and just picked up livescope , so question is the Black box running power wires to battery is power always on or only when you turn your graph on or should be a on off switch installed . thanks for some info

2. Member
    I’ve read it needs a switch or it will drain your battery.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris1978 View Post
    I’ve read it needs a switch or it will drain your battery.
    I've heard the same thing but the owner's manual says when you power off the graph, the livescope shuts down too? Still put mine on a switch!

There is a small draw when graph is off. Some people don't use a boat everyday, or don't have the boat on a charger all the time, so simple solution is a switch, I broke my switch in a couple weeks, so I added a clamp on battery post, then a wing nut for just the livescope.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. Member
    I added Carling rocker switches to the bow for the Garmin 93SV and black box. Are you planning to power your black box from an existing fuse block, or run direct to the battery?

If running direct to the battery you could add a surface mount breaker that acts as a switch as well. Hit the trip button and the circuit will be off. Reset the lever when you’re ready to fish for the day.
    https://www.bluesea.com/products/718...face_Mount_25A

Run a short lead from your battery (+) to the breaker, then terminate the graph and black box power to the breaker. Keep your individual fuses in line with both the graph and black box power cords and you’ll be set. Since the breaker is 25A minimum, you’ll need at least 10AWG for the wiring to your power cords.
    Last edited by mikear; 05-28-2020 at 09:39 AM.

6. Member
    I mounted an inline amp meter on my black box and it draws half an amp always, and 2 amps when on. Definitely put it on a switch

My Ionic lithium has an App which shows draw. I t reads Zero when head unit is off. App reads in tenths so I would say IF it draws at all, its less than a tenth of an amp.

I just pull the fuse to be on the safe side.

Per the engineers, the draw when MFDs are off is around 20 mA.
    Garmin Pro Team