I'm just not getting it

So I've downloaded the ActiveCaptain app on my iPhone and what I believe to be the latest 2020 charts. I have not sync'd with the 106's yet. When I look at the charts on AC through the Garmin website I see the contour lines on all of the local lakes I fish on a regular basis. When I look at the charts on AC on my iPhone I see all of the contour lines on the same lakes with the exception of one lake, and it's my favorite lake. I wanted to update charts via Garmin Express using an SD card but gave up because you can't even open GE on mac. I've followed all of the uninstall, install, allow cookies directions provided by Garmin to make it work but it's hopeless and get a "Keychain" error when trying to login regardless of what I try. Lastly, I tried to leave feedback for AC through the iPhone app which turns into an email to G support and included the question about the missing contour lines on the one lake on the mobile charts, and then it wouldn't let me send the mail. So I'm just not getting it and don't find any of it very intuitive. I really tried to figure it out without having to come here and ask, but if anyone has experience and words of wisdom with this it would be appreciated

2. Member
    I've experienced difficulty with using a APPLE(MAC) computer trying to download updates to an sd card. The sd card shows the download was accepted. I'm thinking the issue is the info needs to be unzipped on the sd card but haven't been successful in achieving that. So had my son try downloading on his windows operating system and unzipped the file to the sd card and the update was accepted to the unit.
    So after 2 different download experiences using the (APPLE)Mac system with no success I contacted Garmin and they are sending me this last update on an sd card.
    Nothing but great customer service experiences with Garmin.
    I would try contacting Garmin. I've used the call back option every time so I wasn't sitting waiting on hold. Not sure if this helps with your issue but I believe worth pursuing. Good luck.

3. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Thank you TWH. Ill make the call. The AC has been great downloading software updates and like I mentioned I haven't been close to my boat to transfer the charts via wifi so I don't even know if it works yet? It would be nice to be able to download through Garmin Express. I've read a lot of issues similar to mine trying to do this through a mac. I would just like to have the charts on a card which seems to me to be a safe way to have store and use.

4. Member
    I recently tried to purchase the 2020.50 update card online via my computer. I tried at least 20 times to get this downloaded and it failed at 92.8 % I finally called Garmin and they are sending me the map card. So yes great service. Strange thing is I tried a few days after Garmin sent me the card and I was able to download from the internet. I have no idea why but wanted to let you know.
    Risen From The Ashes!!

5. Member
    I had the same problem downloading updates to my former Lowrance units on my Mac. I am new to Garmin and I am sorry to hear Mac users are having the same problem. After some issues that I caused, I was able to download and update the software on the two new echomap ultra 122's I just had installed using Active Captain and my iPhone 10. If I find I have to jump through hoops each time to update the software like I had to do constantly with the Lowrance units, I just won't update them. Especially if I like how the current software that is on my units is preforming.

6. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    So here I sit disappointed again. Took an out of state fishing trip last week. Before leaving I downloaded waypoints from Google Earth Pro for the unfamiliar lakes I would be fishing as gpx files converted by Homeport to an SD card. I didn't have time to install in the Ultras before leaving so when I got to destination I inserted the card and nothing. Neither unit recognized the card or asked if I wanted to add or update the waypoints. The charts were fine which I had sync'd through AC. Ended up fishing 5 lakes in one week without the waypoints that I spent a lot of time creating. I thought any new information on a SD card would be recognized and the units would ask what you want to do with that information?

7. Member
    Sounds like you don't have the sd card set up with the directory structure Garmin expects. I don't trust myself to list it here from memory but you can create it yourself.
    Put in the sd card. Make it your ActiveCaptain Card. Do a couple of screenshots of anything. Go into the User Data options and Save to Card. Shut the unit down, remove the card and look at it on your computer. There will be a GARMIN folder. Under it will be subfolders for screenshots and your user data you just saved. That's the folder to put the new user data in. Over time there could also be subfolders for QuickDraw and other stuff.

Disclaimer: I've done this on a GPSMAP unit, not on an echomap but I bet it's the same process.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Quote Originally Posted by SkipLaney View Post
    So here I sit disappointed again. Took an out of state fishing trip last week. Before leaving I downloaded waypoints from Google Earth Pro for the unfamiliar lakes I would be fishing as gpx files converted by Homeport to an SD card. I didn't have time to install in the Ultras before leaving so when I got to destination I inserted the card and nothing. Neither unit recognized the card or asked if I wanted to add or update the waypoints. The charts were fine which I had sync'd through AC. Ended up fishing 5 lakes in one week without the waypoints that I spent a lot of time creating. I thought any new information on a SD card would be recognized and the units would ask what you want to do with that information?
    You also need to be sure and specify in the Ultra menu what file type you are wanting to import (GPX or ADM). The unit default is ADM, so if you didn't change this selection to GPX, this is why your GPX files weren't recognized on the card.
    Garmin Pro Team

9. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Thanks Todd and Winchester. Ill be able to pull the cards tomorrow and do a comparison using the recommendations you've shared. I did create an AC card after getting the units, but I put the waypoints on a separate card. Maybe this is where I missed the boat. Pun intended. Thanks for the replies

10. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    So I'm going to attempt to load my GE waypoints on my Ultras again tomorrow. Question, do I add the waypoints to my AC SD card and the units will pick them up and prompt me to add them when powered up? I attempted this with the waypoints on a separate SD card before and the units didn't recognize them. Yes they are GPX format. Second question. What if any SD cards need to remain in the units all the time? With two slots on each I've always left a blank card and AC card in the helm unit and one blank one in the bow unit. Is this necessary for keeping my live inputs and waypoints or am I doing it all wrong?

11. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    The unit will not prompt you to upload the file. You have manually go in and select the file to upload. After its uploaded, you can remove or leave the card. It does not read file from card. You can use the AC card.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

12. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    The unit will not prompt you to upload the file. You have manually go in and select the file to upload. After its uploaded, you can remove or leave the card. It does not read file from card. You can use the AC card.....
    Thank you sir

13. Banned
    My units prompt me when I insert a card. If there's an update on the card it asks if I want to update the software. If there are waypoints on the card it asks if I want to merge to or from the card.

14. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    My units prompt me when I insert a card. If there's an update on the card it asks if I want to update the software. If there are waypoints on the card it asks if I want to merge to or from the card.
    I've done chart and software updates through AC with no problems. My units do not prompt me when a card with new waypoints is inserted

Quote Originally Posted by SkipLaney View Post
    I've done chart and software updates through AC with no problems. My units do not prompt me when a card with new waypoints is inserted
    If your unit is recognizing your SD card, you should see a popup similar to this right after inserting the card:

06APR20_1054_00.png
    Garmin Pro Team

16. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Thanks for the reply. I've never seen this prompt. And still not intuitive with which option to choose. Copy Map or Manage Data?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    If your unit is recognizing your SD card, you should see a popup similar to this right after inserting the card:

06APR20_1054_00.png

17. Member
    manage data.

sometimes, it's not pop up right after sd card inserts, may need tap settings after sd card insert and wait few seconds
    Tangrine Orange Key 16604126S1

18. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Thank you. I'm new with the Garmin system. Due to the crazy weather and schedule thus far I haven't been able to spend a lot time learning. Thanks for everyones patience and answering the many questions.

Quote Originally Posted by canon View Post
    manage data.

sometimes, it's not pop up right after sd card inserts, may need tap settings after sd card insert and wait few seconds