Thread: cowling help

cowling help

I am in the process of doing some updates to my 2000 Ranger with Mercury 150 XR6.

I have seen several pictures of guys who have gotten Mercury decals from Iguana and thought that it looked really good. Today, I peeled off the old decals with a heat gun. You can see the outline of the old decals because the paint underneath had not faded any. How should I go about restoring this cowling? I have a buffer from wet sanding and refinishing my gelcoat last week, so I am familiar with running a buffer.

If all else fails, I will just buy an OEM replacement decal set to go back over these unfaded spots.

cowl1.jpgcowl2.jpgcowl3.jpg

Odds are, you'll always be able to see the shadow of where the decals were. But, try the same steps on the cowl you did buffing your gel coat. Watch out for edges and corners on the cowl though, you'll burn through a spot quick if you get on the areas with a buffer and compound. If it comes down to it, re-color your cowl. Its single stage urethane, but you could use base coat and clear as well.