L4 220Hp Verado Trim Problem

So today out on the water after a run to my first spot my power trim started to constantly trim in. Even when I tried to trim up the sound of the trim would stop, but still wouldn't trim up. If I just let it sit there it would constantly try to trim down even when it was fully trimmed in. Eventually had to go back to the launch and release the trim with a screw and lift the motor manually and put it on a transom saver to trailer it home. Dealership said there's a 4 week waiting period to get service. Can anyone suggest what PART I would need to replace or the procedure to do so I don't have to wait that long?

2. Banned
    I had this problem last week. But my motor would trim up on its own. Talk about pucker factor while running.

I replaced the two relays and haven't had anymore issues.

3. Member
    Where are the relays located? I bought the motor used and had no manual for it

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tayzak15 View Post
    Where are the relays located? I bought the motor used and had no manual for it
    They're in the plastic box where the power goes to the motor. They're on the left side. I was told to replace both at the same time.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by g352nv View Post
    They're in the plastic box where the power goes to the motor. They're on the left side. I was told to replace both at the same time.
    I was just taking a look at them this morning.Is there anyway to get just those two out of do I need to take that whole assembly of 5 out? I tried just taking the two top ones out but it sure felt like I was going to break something if I did.

6. Banned
    I was just taking a look at them this morning.Is there anyway to get just those two out of do I need to take that whole assembly of 5 out? I tried just taking the two top ones out but it sure felt like I was going to break something if I did.
    I took them all out as they're on a rack. Took about three min.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by g352nv View Post
    I took them all out as they're on a rack. Took about three min.
    Gotcha. So they popped off easy once you got that rack off?

8. Banned
    Gotcha. So they popped off easy once you got that rack off?
    Yup very easy job. I think I removed two screws if I remember right. Then the relays popped right out.

Start simple, the trolling motor cord wasn't laying on the bow trim switch or anything like that? An individual trim switch can fail to, that would be as simple as disconnecting it.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Start simple, the trolling motor cord wasn't laying on the bow trim switch or anything like that? An individual trim switch can fail to, that would be as simple as disconnecting it.
    . Yes I troubleshooted everything right back to the wire harness and relays. I unplugged and cleaned both relays and plug ins from the wire harness this afternoon and everything started working fine again. I will need to keep an eye on it though and likely order the parts anyways and replace them for peace of mind.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and update your post with the REQUIRED info (serial number). Thank you!

If it is a relay- replace BOTH trim relays (they work TOGETHER in a polarity-reversing system, the matching relay will usually fail shortly after the first one).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor