Thread: Lake Jesup

Lake Jesup

Has any one fished Lake Jesup lately. I have never fished there, just seen it on the map. How is the water level there? Any good fishing there?

2. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    It's a shallow mud hole. I hear it used to be one of the best lakes on the river, but (as the story goes) they altered/rerouted the river at some point, so it doesn't have the flow in/out like it used to.

3. Member
    In the 90s I used to speak fish Jesup. Occasionally I would catch a small bass. I have never bass fished it. I agree with the above post. It's a damn shame too... I bet the it would a hell of a bass lake if it was clean.
    Brad Krone

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickstix View Post
    It's a shallow mud hole. I hear it used to be one of the best lakes on the river, but (as the story goes) they altered/rerouted the river at some point, so it doesn't have the flow in/out like it used to.
    They dug back the road to restore flow. Don't know if it helped wash out any mud though. I have only duck hunted it.

Here is some info on the 1920 river reroute and 2010 flow restore attempt
    https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...504-story.html
    Last edited by soulfisher; 05-28-2020 at 03:00 PM.

5. Member
    Thanks everyone. I guess I will continue to look. I fish Harris Chain, Stickmarsh, Toho, Kissimmee, Okeechobee, Gentry and Fox Lake. Just looking for somewhere different in East Central Florida .

6. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Yea, imo, that "story" about restoring the lake was about building a bridge.. They took the land, the fishcamps, built their bridge and the lake never recovered..

Scottsdale, the river and Monroe in that area arent terrible, if your looking for somewhere new to fish. They aren't the same as they used to be either, but they're not as bad as Jesup.

7. Member
    I grew up down road from Fox lake and connected to south lake we caught a lot nice fish there but then they would spray them and no more fish tell the grass comes back ,we fished Jessup a lot but we always speck fished it was good but that was back in late 60s and up to 95 ,have you been on poinsett, I used to like just fishing st. johns on hwy.50 or 46 between them.
    Man I watched the launch today brought back a lot memories wish I could have been there to hear that rumble