Cool hub cover question

Yesterday I replaced the races and bearings in one of cool hubs on my 03 521vx, since I’ve never done this I took a little drive to try to see if it was okay and I noticed the hub cover seems to be trying to work it’s way off. Was I suppose to put some kind of sealant on that cover? I can’t find anything on google and I don’t want any issues. TIA

Jack it up and check for loose play. The spindle nut may not be seated and is too loose. It will push the cap out if it is. There should be no play, but be free to spin. When installing the hub cover, make sure the O-ring is in place, then put a thin layer of Black RV Silicone for about 1 1/2" on the front edge of the cap, use a Dead Blow Hammer to push it in trying to keep it centered as it goes in. The Silicone will form a "Bead" around the outside of the cap. DO NOT TOUCH it or REMOVE it. Allow it to set up for 48 hrs before going anywhere.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Jack it up and check for loose play. The spindle nut may not be seated and is too loose. It will push the cap out if it is. There should be no play, but be free to spin. When installing the hub cover, make sure the O-ring is in place, then put a thin layer of Black RV Silicone for about 1 1/2" on the front edge of the cap, use a Dead Blow Hammer to push it in trying to keep it centered as it goes in. The Silicone will form a "Bead" around the outside of the cap. DO NOT TOUCH it or REMOVE it. Allow it to set up for 48 hrs before going anywhere.
    I awlays did the same thing, but used the Red High Temp RTV Silicone, based on the recommendations of Sam Wilson in the Trailer Dept. at Ranger.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    When i replaced my seals and races I ordered new caps. The new caps are machined and not stamped and much stronger. after you take the older style caps off a couple times they just don't fit as well as they once did. I also use high temp red RVT silicone to form a seal for the bearing cover. The attachment has the part number for the new style cover, just cant remember which size our hubs take.
    Attached Files Attached Files

5. Member
    I think I got it taken care of thanks everyone