Okeechobee first timer needs advice

Leaving Virginia heading to the Okeechobee Friday morning and staying till Wednesday. We will be staying on northern end in taylors creek on the lake. This is our first trip ever to any florida lake. We are going out with Justin Morgan from fast break guide service Sunday for half day artificial bait and half day live bait trip. We are bringing my brothers 20ft pontoon boat so our spouses can go out with us some. I read the lake is down.
    Will we be able to use pontoon boat and get from taylors creek to main lake?
    Is bass fishing good in taylors creek?
    Im use to fishing very deep lakes except for Guntersville and Chickamauga. So i dont really know what to except, what to fish or what baits to bring with me.
    Any advice is very appreciated. Feel free to Pm me if needed.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Justin is great. One of the best sticks on the lake. He'll get you hooked up and Fast Break has everything you'll need.

3. Member
    I will second that Justin will put you on fish. He is on the lake practically every day. I have been gone 3 weeks but the lock was open at Taylor Creek then, direct shot straight out into the lake. If not it is just a short drive to Scott Driver ramps which take you out to the Kissimmee River. Hang a left and not far to the lake. Be careful as the lake is very shallow, Do Not turn a hard right as you leave the river, shallow and very rocky there, go out beyond the markers before turning toward Kings Bar. Haven’t fished Taylor Creek in a few months but there are nice fish there. Got a 8.14 there in Feb. not a lot of grass or pads there anymore.but lots of docks and sea walls there.. Stick baits skipped or pitched to the docks will get you some bites as well as topwater early and late should get bit. The lake should still have a Shad spawn going on in the Kissimmee grass every morning at sunrise, spinnerbaits and swimjigs should get you a few if you can get to the grass and early enough. Hope this helps you a little, Don

4. Member
    Thanks a bunch guys!!! We have wanted to fish this lake for years and are very excited.

5. Member
    Ask Justin about navigating your Pontoon. I would think He would help you out with that as well.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

Quote Originally Posted by swvabassangler View Post
    Leaving Virginia heading to the Okeechobee Friday morning and staying till Wednesday. We will be staying on northern end in taylors creek on the lake. This is our first trip ever to any florida lake. We are going out with Justin Morgan from fast break guide service Sunday for half day artificial bait and half day live bait trip. We are bringing my brothers 20ft pontoon boat so our spouses can go out with us some. I read the lake is down.
    Will we be able to use pontoon boat and get from taylors creek to main lake?
    Is bass fishing good in taylors creek?
    Im use to fishing very deep lakes except for Guntersville and Chickamauga. So i dont really know what to except, what to fish or what baits to bring with me.
    Any advice is very appreciated. Feel free to Pm me if needed.
    Thanks in advance.
    Water Levels on my site.

7. Member
    Justin is a great guy and guide newly wed and still fished everyday

8. Member
    I hate to kind of revive this thread. But I actually popped into the FL forums cause I will be coming to Okeechobee for the first time as well in early July. And ironically I just booked a guide trip with Fast Break and found out Justin is going to be our guide. How did the trip go swvabassangler?