Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champ223 View Post
    BRP has discountinued outboard engines ?? Have a agreement with mercury marine is what I’ve just heard
    https://fishingtackleretailer.com/br...ercury-marine/
    Article sounds like they are prepping for the Electric outboard wave of the future. Not sure I want an all electric bass boat.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    1. Evinrude E-TECH and the Evinride G2 both meet and exceed emission standards. Regulations on all motors need to meet 3 Star compliance and Evinrude has motors that exceed the emmision rating to obtain 3 Star compliance. States like California and the military have strict regulations for products they will purchase because of emission laws. Evinrude is the product they chose to buy because it exceeds emission standards and are actully the cleanest burning outboard motor of all the major brands. The general public finds it hard to believe that a 2 stroke can burn cleaner than a 4 stoke but in the case of E-TECH and G2 it is reality...google search cleanest burning boat motor and see what happens.

2. Still running my E-TECH. I never left the 2 stroke world.
    Looks like you won’t have a choice.

3. Member
    Well, when people fish around me they get reminded of the smoke and smell of a 2 stroke.

I can’t imagine a wo stroke coming back unless there is a massive technology breakthrough. In today’s political climate environmentally friendly is everything to to many people or it to ever happen. Somehow they invented a two stroke that did not have to burn oil then it could make a comeback. Still made a four stroke that runs on mix. Maybe someone can make a two stroke that runs on straight. If they could it could open a new world. Two strokes are king in the horsepower to weight category.
    Ranger R81
    Lowrance HDS Live 9”
    Lowrance HDS Live 12”
    Active Target 2 on Seelite Pole
    Lowrance Ghost
    Mercury 175

5. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    4 stroke for me. I run a Suzuki. Talked to a captain/guide who had 5000 hours on the Suzuki on his bay boat when he sold the motor 2 years ago. The guy who bought it is running it still. You won't see those kinds of hours on a 2 stroke. Hell I have a 2 stroke waiting on pistons right now from an oil line failure.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

6. Member
    Here's my thoughts coming from snowmobile experience. The 2 stroke is lighter and the smell is virtually non-existent today. The weight is maybe 40 lbs, not a lot for a boat but very noticeable in a sled. The oil use isnt bad for the occasional boater. Anyone using it multiple days a week every week will enjoy the lack of adding oil.
    The torque was better in the 4 stroke. Personally I am looking at a used boat now. I dont care what's on the back, but would probably lean towards a 4 stroke.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champ223 View Post
    BRP has discountinued outboard engines ?? Have a agreement with mercury marine is what I’ve just heard
    https://fishingtackleretailer.com/br...ercury-marine/
    Well son of a bitch. I was going to go with a G2 on my next boat purchase. I guess that takes care of that.

8. Member
    Going to run my Optimax Pro 225 until it won't run anymore. Too much $$$$ right now to change to a 4 stroke.

9. Member
    They won't be getting any cheaper in the future!

10. Member
    the 2 stroke in outboard motors are like the mass herds of buffalo gone forever.

11. Member
    Back in the day when the 200 was the big motor, in our
    area a few owners had motors built w/cut heads and cut exhaust
    that ran on aviation fuel. There isn't anything that smells as good,
    and that smell means HP. LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

12. Member
    I never understand the argument about how much of a pain it is to add oil. SO easy. And most the people that complain about that just love the "cocktail" which involves mixing all kinds of shit together
    Andy

2004 Pro Craft 192 SuperPro

Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    4 stroke for me. I run a Suzuki. Talked to a captain/guide who had 5000 hours on the Suzuki on his bay boat when he sold the motor 2 years ago. The guy who bought it is running it still. You won't see those kinds of hours on a 2 stroke. Hell I have a 2 stroke waiting on pistons right now from an oil line failure.
    The Suzuki engines are solid motors...I love my Yamaha but given a different choice of boats I would certainly look at Suzuki..i
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    1. Evinrude E-TECH and the Evinride G2 both meet and exceed emission standards. Regulations on all motors need to meet 3 Star compliance and Evinrude has motors that exceed the emmision rating to obtain 3 Star compliance. States like California and the military have strict regulations for products they will purchase because of emission laws. Evinrude is the product they chose to buy because it exceeds emission standards and are actully the cleanest burning outboard motor of all the major brands. The general public finds it hard to believe that a 2 stroke can burn cleaner than a 4 stoke but in the case of E-TECH and G2 it is reality...google search cleanest burning boat motor and see what happens.

2. Still running my E-TECH. I never left the 2 stroke world.
    keep working,your neighbor thanks you

15. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Anyone who says/thinks that 4-strokes have more torque has never been in front of a G2. I put 68 hours on mine last year [225 on a Ranger Z519] and added oil 3 times, at a minute and a half each time. Does it suck to lose the value that I did yesterday? Yes. But I lost that much on my annuity in a couple of days when COVID hit, so I’m used to it. The boat runs just as well today as it did last week, so I’ll still be smiling going down the lake for many years to come. Life happens.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

16. Banned
    Plenty of new 2 strokes on the market. Just have to be willing to get on 2 wheels to enjoy them.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    My Optimax is 16 years old but when it comes time to replace it I won't mind a bit that I will be buying a 4 stroke. I will save at least $300 in not having to purchase DFI oil each year. Progress is good.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

The 300$ in efi oil you save will go directly to winterization expenses
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    Plenty of new 2 strokes on the market. Just have to be willing to get on 2 wheels to enjoy them.
    I think Yamaha and ktm are the only manufactures still making two strokes right now except for kids bikes.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    I think Yamaha and ktm are the only manufactures still making two strokes right now except for kids bikes.
    Yamaha, KTM, Husqvarna, Beta, Sherko all make the bigger 2 strokes. Kawasaki and Suzuki still make the smaller 2 stroke bikes, like 50-100cc size.

2 stroke bikes are alive and well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast