2020 115 Pro XS 4-Stroke

I am purchasing a boat and the salesman informed me that when the boat comes in the install the outboard and after installation they take it out and run it wide open to make sure all is good. I am wondering if this is okay...this does not at all follow the break in procedure mercury has for it. I know the first couple hours you are supposed to stay under 35oo rpms. Does anyone think I am worried for no reason. Any feedback from you guys will be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Member
    For the first two hours you are supposed to run it at varied throttle under 5500 (I think) RPM and then every ten minutes do a full throttle burst for 1 minute. I can't recall the exact recommended RPM per the manual, but it has a detailed description in there. It is also recommended to change the oil in four stroke motors after 10 hours of service. I doubt your dealer is going to do anything other than what is specified in the manual during that first two hours of operation. Maybe they will do the full two hours for you, I know a few smaller dealers that do just that.

3. Member
    Just ask them: Are you going to follow the break in procedure in the owners manual? If the answer is no...ask them to do so.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

4. Member
    You should be happy they even test drive it.
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Should be fine- they are following recommended protocol.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor