Cranking battery Drain question

Went out this morning. Made a run to a spot, no issues. Fished for 6 hrs, used trolling motor only. Went to fire up the big engine to run to another part of the lake and there wasn't enough juice in my cranking battery to get the engine started. When I went to start the boat I noticed the key was turned to the run position. My 8 yr old fessed up to messing with it. My newbie question is, would havin that key turned to the run position drain my battery enough over that time frame to keep my motor from cranking or do I need to start looking for something else that drained it? Battery is hooked up for cranking only, my other 3 run the tm and graphs. Battery is 2 months old and was fully charged over night. Thanks

Matt

2. Member
    It probably would have drained it enough. Do your graphs have a low voltage alarm? My older Humminbirds do and I can set the voltage to where I want to get an alarm. Sorry just saw your graphs are hooked to your trolling batteries. I guess I’ve always had my accessories to my cranking battery

3. Member
    I'll go check to be sure. Boat is new to me, thought I remember him saying they werent on the crankin battery but ill make sure. Just had me scratchin my head bc this is the 5th trip out in 4 weeks and first time this happened. Thankd

4. Member
    Looks like the 4 graphs and accessories are one the cranking battery, and the power poles and tm is on the other 3 batteries. Ill turn on the low voltage alarm for sure in the future.

5. Member
    Your power poles may be the culprit. If you're not turning the main power off to them then they will drain your battery. I know from experience.

6. Member
    Yep this is good advice with the power poles. Ever since I added one, I periodically get a low voltage alarm myself. Figured this was where my issue was coming from. I plan on installing a toggle switch to kill power when I’m not using them

7. Member
    Ran a test today where i charged batteries overnight. Turned on everything for 8 hrs. Afterwards it cranked right up. Prolly was that key in run position. I'll take it out tomorrow and see again. Thanks for the input

8. Member
    Put a cutoff switch on your batteries. It can prevent excess parasitic drain and beginners trying to start your engine...LOL
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

Ignition key turned on powers up the motor to be ready to start. I'm sure its a high drain on the battery.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Ignition key turned on powers up the motor to be ready to start. I'm sure its a high drain on the battery.
    Unfortunately, I know this all too well. I have done it more than once. At least it has been at home and not on the water.

11. Member
    Looks like that was what happened. Took it our for 7 hrs today. Ran 4 graphs and tm hard. Started right up when it was time to leave. Just had to keep an eye on the mini mes lol. Thanks