engine shakes/trembles

1b254547
    06 merc opti 200

OK after I tried to start my engine via hose hook up and first time out on lake last week, I can see that the engine is shaky or trembles kind of like choking something. And this is after the shop install the new powerhead, with the shifting issue of not going into reverse smoothly. Does this have something to do with the LU or gearcase shift linkage. I know my questions are all over this forum. Its bothersome to me and when things like this happens, can't get no sleep.

Already had a headache before and now this?

TIA!

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It's going to be very difficult to assist in diagnosing this type of problem with only the information provided. Normally, whomever installed the powerhead would be addressing these types of problems for you.

Is this an engine you recently obtained, recently installed, and if not, how much did YOU run the engine prior to it getting (or needing) a powerhead?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    It's going to be very difficult to assist in diagnosing this type of problem with only the information provided. Normally, whomever installed the powerhead would be addressing these types of problems for you.

Is this an engine you recently obtained, recently installed, and if not, how much did YOU run the engine prior to it getting (or needing) a powerhead?
    Sad to say but I feel like I have two problems. They never said anything about anything after getting their $10k check. They just gave me the receipt and break-in procedure sheet. They didn't even tighten the air filter, all the fuel lines and cables that was tighten with zipped ties were left untied and movable. I had to tell them to tie it up when I took it back last after I noticed that shifting problem. Who knows if they even change the water pump? The only communication I had with them was through the nice front desk lady who made schedules, made phone calls and take payments. I didn't hear a word from the owner or the techs about any future questions I may have. However, when I asked one tech guy about why was the first PH colored aluminum and bare without any pistons or parts in it, he said thats how it looks and they will have to transfer everything from my old engine onto it. Then when they were ready to install it, she called me and said ordered the wrong part. Can you believe that?!

The previous engine was around 170 hours before it blew up.

1. The shop doesn't seem to know what they are doing by ordering the wrong PH at first (bare aluminum block).

2. Now this new shifting problem and shaky syndrome occurs after they installed the new PH.

I've tried calling them to fix the issue since last year but they told me I needed new cable which is $500 and then just greased the cable linkage after I refuse the job order. Today, finally got a hold of the owner (after he avoided my calls and didn't return my calls) and I brought up that the shifting problem and he said they will look at it and adjust the cable and may not be the LU issue. So I got scheduled to take boat in next Thur. Will reply back here to see what is being done.

I apologize for the long rants.

So, they didn't actually replace the powerhead, they just replaced the block, correct?

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    So, they didn't actually replace the powerhead, they just replaced the block, correct?
    They did replace the power head, 854198A07

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Report back after they check it over. Try to look at things in a fresh-light (focusing on the then-current situation or problem rather than the past).

Hopefully there won't be much to focus on.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Report back after they check it over. Try to look at things in a fresh-light (focusing on the then-current situation or problem rather than the past).

Hopefully there won't be much to focus on.
    Here is my report back:

Front desk lady told me to bring boat in this morning and they'll look at it to see if its their problem or mine. She said she will call me this afternoon after the tech checks it out. Comes closing time, no call from them. I went there to see if they actually put the boat inside or outside (because I didn't bring cover). When I got there they were closed but one guy was still locking up, he was surprised to see why I was there and I told him what happened. He couldn't find anything on the job being done today except a work order stating that the cables were stiff and needed to be replace at $125 per hour labor, need 3 hrs of work and cables cost $100 = $475. I told him this is old news from last year and my cables are fine why all of sudden during their work on the motor, why is the cable is stiff now. He just said it happens. Now this pissed me off because this was the same thing she told me last year after they put in the new powerhead with the stiff cable. They just put some grease on the cable ends like I've stated above. (Now all these communications was just through the lady talking to me, no word from the boss or techs whatsoever!!)

What I want to know if do they know something I don't?

Should I wait for her to call me tomorrow to ask for work consent on the cable or just pick up my boat tonight and go elsewhere? Thing is, this is NOT my problem.

Or if she doesn't call me back and they go ahead and replace the cables anyways and charge me for the bill, do I just pay or walk out?

And if it were like what some suggested with the spline not installing correctly, how hard is it to correct it?

Talk about loosing sleep, here I am.
    Last edited by 4motion; 06-04-2020 at 09:22 PM.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Probably the first thing to do is to take a step back... the person you talked to probably wasn't directly involved in the boat at all, and since it was technically after hours, you're likely not getting direct information.

Good idea to start with a phone call today, to see if you can get an update. Remember to focus on the present and your primary goal of getting your boat functioning as it should. Express that primary goal as you talk to them... I know that I will usually bend over backwards to help someone that seems to WANT help (but find it difficult to focus my attention with someone that is just "venting").

9. Member
    Probably the first thing to do is to take a step back... the person you talked to probably wasn't directly involved in the boat at all, and since it was technically after hours, you're likely not getting direct information.

Good idea to start with a phone call today, to see if you can get an update. Remember to focus on the present and your primary goal of getting your boat functioning as it should. Express that primary goal as you talk to them... I know that I will usually bend over backwards to help someone that seems to WANT help (but find it difficult to focus my attention with someone that is just "venting").
    Thanks Don for sharing your words of wisdom. I appreciate that.

It may sound like Im venting but perhaps my statements above made it sound like I was upset at the guy yesterday. My point was how can the shop install my powerhead on and then my shift cables werent working properly, on top of the lack of communication to me. Is there such coincidence?

Today, again I waited all day til almost closing time, they never call me back. I gotta leave town and didn't want to leave my boat at their yard outside so I called and she just told me they had to order the cables and this time it will cost around $600..I ask why so much now and she said it just went up. WTH? I got to talk to the boss and ask why should I have to pay for the shifting cables job and he because my cables needed replacement, said that the powerhead had nothing to do with the shifting cables and lining up gear whatever they did and kept saying I need new shifting cables, even though it was working perfectly until after they install the powerhead. Im done with that shop. Trust me, before they get the $ they were nice and callling me back with updates, but when issues like this, they turn the other way. I am done with them. Going elsewhere.

How much will it cost to replace new shifting cables on average?

10. Member
    Cable replacement costs depend on the time it takes to replace them. Some boats are more difficult than others, so it is a TIME + PART equation. You are simply going to have to pay whatever the next Dealer chooses to charge you, since you don't do your own work.

The Dealer is correct that replacing a powerhead has NOTHING to do with a faulty shift cable.

11. Member
    Sounds pricey for cable replacement tho it can be a booger to remove some side mount shifters and to pull the hotfoot out to rpl the throttle cable. Then there is snaking the cables back along the gunwhale and up through the vacume cleaner hose into the eng cowling. It's an undesirable job but I can't imagine paying more than 475- 3 hrs labor plus cables. . As for the rough running and shaking of the motor it is possible that after rebuilding the powerhead or replacement of said powerhead, the underlying issue of why the motor failed may not have been addressed. You need to stay calm and speak with the service manager and ask specific questions like- were the injectors flow tested and cleaned- Is this the original air compressor, new water pump etc. and what was the underlying cause of the motor failure. 160 hours is nothing on a motor. For what you were charged you should expect nothing less than total transparency and great service from these folks. So I assume they are a Mercury dealer? IMO, i'd never deal with anyone but the service manager. And if they don't have time for you go elsewhere and report them to the BBB. If they can't get your motor running right a letter from an atty would lite a fire under their feet.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by silvertalon View Post
    Sounds pricey for cable replacement tho it can be a booger to remove some side mount shifters and to pull the hotfoot out to rpl the throttle cable. Then there is snaking the cables back along the gunwhale and up through the vacume cleaner hose into the eng cowling. It's an undesirable job but I can't imagine paying more than 475- 3 hrs labor plus cables. . As for the rough running and shaking of the motor it is possible that after rebuilding the powerhead or replacement of said powerhead, the underlying issue of why the motor failed may not have been addressed. You need to stay calm and speak with the service manager and ask specific questions like- were the injectors flow tested and cleaned- Is this the original air compressor, new water pump etc. and what was the underlying cause of the motor failure. 160 hours is nothing on a motor. For what you were charged you should expect nothing less than total transparency and great service from these folks. So I assume they are a Mercury dealer? IMO, i'd never deal with anyone but the service manager. And if they don't have time for you go elsewhere and report them to the BBB. If they can't get your motor running right a letter from an atty would lite a fire under their feet.
    Yeah think they shop is trying to milk the cow about the cost of shift cable job, one day they said one price then another price when they feel like I would allow them to replace it. I saw their quote on job order, $125/hr labor, 3hours and $100 for cables doesnt equal $600!!

I bought the boat with a new compressor on, the previous owner said he replaced it due possible leaking compressor.

I agreed that power head is different from shift cable problem but does it have to occur during their time working on the power head, boat never had issue with shifting forward/reverse prior to the ph installing. I was able to drive boat to dock with the blown 5th cylinder ph. They diagnose the engine had a hole on the wall, piston melted and not spraying water.

NO, there werent any transparency. why because the only communication I had with this shop is thru the front desk lady, not once with a tech or the owner who sits around avoiding contact with me, while I was there asking questions about why they initially order the wrong bare block of aluminum colored power head. They had an incompetent tech telling me that they will transfer everything from my ph onto the that bare ph. I'm not a mechanic or boat expert but I know the difference between the supposedly correct power head vs a bare empty unpainted one. Then after they bait and switch and adjusted the price from $4k to $10k, order the correct ph, she said it was a fully dressed ph too, which was NOT! All these complaints stem from last year by the way.

Yes, they work on Mercury. I buy all my oils and filters/parts from them, hence why I decided to take my service to them.

This is my first problem of boat ownership so I wasn't so about whether the next shop would treat such a problem the same or different either.

13. Member
    people like those are exactly why people are so scared to let good reputable shops do their jobs, shame on them
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... sounds like you've got some real history there and the sooner you find someone you are comfortable with (and trust), the better. Perhaps- "There's no time like the present".

15. Member
    So if the prop still move in forward or reverse, but the hard shifting is just in reverse, then its not a problem with the spline misaligned issue?

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4motion View Post
    So if the prop still move in forward or reverse, but the hard shifting is just in reverse, then its not a problem with the spline misaligned issue?
    Unable to ascertain exactly what you are asking there- and given the history, I really feel you need to find an experienced Certified or Master Tech to get their EYES, HANDS, and EARS on this thing before problems become bigger.

17. Member
    Will do, thanks Don!!