2000 Ranger 518svx Comanche

Looking at possibly purchasing this boat and I was wondering if anyone on here has owned one and maybe give me some pros and cons. I was also wondering about the port side rod locker and if it would hold at least 7’6” size rods. That’s the longest rod I use and I’ve read in some forums where the lockers differ in size on these older Rangers of the same model or size. I can customize if I need to to make fit, just wondering if I’ll have too. Any info on this boat would be appreciated. I’ve done some homework online, but there’s not a ton of info on this year and model that I can find - and I’m not an expert in any way on boats lol. Also it comes with a 2005 200hp Evinrude ETEC HO and from what I hear that motor was in its first year then. Thanks.

2. Member
    I've got a 2000 518vx. My longest rod is 7'3" and hits the end of the tube. Other than that, it's a great boat. I can't say anything about the Etec since mine came with a Ficht that finally died in March and I've been waiting on Evinrude to re-open so I could get a G2 but apparently Evinrude died yesterday.

Edit* I've upgraded almost all the lights on the boat to LED and all the trailer lights to LED. I also added a Fulton F2 3200 winch and jack. I've got a pair of 12' Talons in my garage waiting for my boat to come back. I upgraded the electronics to Lowrance Elite Ti2 7" and the trolling motor to a MK Ulterra.
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200

3. Member
    I have the same boat with a Mercury. The original owner took the rod tubes out of the rod locker. I have a 7'10" flipping stick and it fits in the rod locker. BTW... the best thing I've done to the boat is add a recessed trolling motor tray. Not hard to install and lots of videos online to help guide you through the process. Good luck…. Lew.

4. Member
    Since I couldn't upload the pic in a message, I'll put it here. I didn't do any modifications, just direct bolt on.

F2.jpg
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmbtvet View Post
    Since I couldn't upload the pic in a message, I'll put it here. I didn't do any modifications, just direct bolt on.

F2.jpg
    Thanks. Looks awfully close, but I think I’ll do it anyway. Gonna change out to a Stoltz roller too when I do.