Thread: How hot???...

Banned

How hot???...

When cleaning your thermostats how hot should the water be to get them to open and properly cleaned... Is boiling water too hot???... I normally try to keep the water about 140*, but what's best???... Forth time in the last couple of months... Dan

at or sleightly above the stat rating
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Just hold the face with you fingers and push the spring down with your thumbs to disassemble them. No need to boil them to clean them.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    140 degrees should have them wide open- or as suggested, disassemble (carefully) and clean with soap and water.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Ive ran a cycle through my wife's Kureg without a kcup and used that the last couple of times. Worked pretty good for me. All the debris falls to the bottom of the cup and collects so you can see what caused the headache.
    2018 Phoenix 819 / 2018 Mercury 200 Pro XS

6. Member
    Taking the thermostats completely apart and cleaning IS the best method.

7. Banned
    Any videos showing how the disassemble a thermostat???... I can't find one... As stated, I try to keep the water around 140*during cleaning... I fish a gin clear lake that probably averages 75' in depth and today I couldn't get the engine to warm above 100*. And yes, I found a lot of debris clogging the thermostat... The Spring rains have a lot of floating debris, leaves, small sticks, limbs, whole trees and even railroad ties... Haven't hit anything that I've felt... Damn, this is frustrating... Dan

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ONECASTAWAY View Post
    Ive ran a cycle through my wife's Kureg without a kcup and used that the last couple of times. Worked pretty good for me. All the debris falls to the bottom of the cup and collects so you can see what caused the headache.
    i thought coffee brewed around 190-205 and the thermostat should open around 140 you got a good idea, just not for sure if it would test the thermostat right

9. Member
    I feel your pain Dan. I just posted about my engine that won't come to temperature. As far as the thermostat just compress the spring and the two side latches will pop off (they actually open up to the side and release). That is all there is to it. Of course I'm assuming your t-stats are the same as mine.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No videos I would recommend, at least. Not all that difficult- almost self-explanatory.

Don't subject t-stats to high-temperature water. Testing is covered in the Mercury Factory Service Manual (you need a thermometer, a way to heat water, and string to suspend the thermostat in the water without touching the pan).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    i thought coffee brewed around 190-205 and the thermostat should open around 140 you got a good idea, just not for sure if it would test the thermostat right
    That is true for testing at what temp they open up. I was telling him how to get them opened up so that the debris could be removed. To test them you would certainly need a thermometer.
    2018 Phoenix 819 / 2018 Mercury 200 Pro XS