Trolling Motor Advice

This morning my trolling motor stopped working. It is a 2012 Minnkota Maxxum 70 Lb thrust. The foot pedal was working intermittently for awhile, and then all of a sudden I heard a sizzling noise and some smoke came out of the foot pedal. After that the motor did not come on at all and I unplugged it to be safe. None of the marinas in my area service Minnkotas (one does, but only if you bought it from them). I did a search on Minnkota's website and they have a very limited number of Authorized Service Centers in the New York area.

Does this sound like something that would be repairable, or am I likely looking at upgrading to a new trolling motor? It is 8 years old, but I thought I would have gotten a few more years than that out of it. Thanks for any advice.

The best thing that ever happened to me was when my old MG Brute went to crap on me. I got a Terrova with spot lock and it changed my life. Since then they've come out with several makes and models with spot lock, but man oh man it is a game changer. Nothing like sitting on a point facing the wind and throwing rattletraps for smallies, while not having to worry about boat position.

Lisa Simpson once said that the Japanese use the same word for crisis as they do for opportunity. Homer said "I know honey, its crisitunity."
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

3. Member
    It may, or may not, be easily repairable. I'd bet it could be fixed.

I'd take the bottom cover off and look underneath the pedal for the simple stuff, Has a wire just come loose and shorted out against another post. Has something broken or come loose and is shorting out under the pedal?

Those old Maxxum's aren't that complicated. I would expect it could be fixed a lot cheaper than buying another, particularly if you, or a friend, can do the work.

It could be an opportunity to upgrade, but if money is short, I'd try to fix it.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Royjulius View Post
    The best thing that ever happened to me was when my old MG Brute went to crap on me. I got a Terrova with spot lock and it changed my life. Since then they've come out with several makes and models with spot lock, but man oh man it is a game changer. Nothing like sitting on a point facing the wind and throwing rattletraps for smallies, while not having to worry about boat position.

Lisa Simpson once said that the Japanese use the same word for crisis as they do for opportunity. Homer said "I know honey, its crisitunity."
    its funny I had terrova on my last boat and now have a fortrex again. I have to say I don't miss the terrova at all. It was slow, loud and the spot lock was worthless in anything more then a stiff breeze.

I just got through replacing my Minnkota Maxxum that sounds the same as yours. It was working well, but I replaced it with a Ghost. I would sell it for a reasonable price nut the shipping from Texas to New York would probably be a killer.
    Ranger R81
    Lowrance HDS Live 9”
    Lowrance HDS Live 12”
    Active Target 2 on Seelite Pole
    Lowrance Ghost
    Mercury 175

If you smoked some wires you may not have a functioning circuit breaker. If it were mine I would try to fix it. Like MCIPinkie said there ain't much to them.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    its funny I had terrova on my last boat and now have a fortrex again. I have to say I don't miss the terrova at all. It was slow, loud and the spot lock was worthless in anything more then a stiff breeze.
    you need to try it again on the new terrova and make sure you have enough power. A fellow Ontario guy, I wouldn’t have a trolling motor unless it had spot lock.

stand out in a chop on a windy day and park on a shoal and not touch the trolling motor just worry about fishing. Spotlock is specifically why I sold my cable drive Motorguide and bought a terrova for my boat. Also a poor man’s power pole.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

8. Member
    All electrical devices run on smoke. When the smoke comes out it no longer works.
    Comanche20 (Don)
    2008 Ranger Z 20, 225 RUDE
    Ultrex 45/36/112
    2 Birds
    2020 F150 LIMITED Eco Boost

9. #FRB
    The magic smoke is hard to replace once you let it out. I'm betting that little computer board in the pedal is where the smoke originated.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

10. Member
    Thanks for all the responses. I have decided that this is the excuse I need to upgrade to an Ultrex with spot lock. I can't tell you how many times I have wanted to put the power poles down in deeper than 8 ft!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z7Mike View Post
    This morning my trolling motor stopped working. It is a 2012 Minnkota Maxxum 70 Lb thrust. The foot pedal was working intermittently for awhile, and then all of a sudden I heard a sizzling noise and some smoke came out of the foot pedal. After that the motor did not come on at all and I unplugged it to be safe. None of the marinas in my area service Minnkotas (one does, but only if you bought it from them). I did a search on Minnkota's website and they have a very limited number of Authorized Service Centers in the New York area.

Does this sound like something that would be repairable, or am I likely looking at upgrading to a new trolling motor? It is 8 years old, but I thought I would have gotten a few more years than that out of it. Thanks for any advice.
    Mike,
    Call Tony up in Orchard Park near Bills stadium. He fixed my MG no problems, and he repairs all brands, if not too busy fishing.
    Tony's Reel Repair. 7686 Michael Rd. Orchard Park, NY 14127. Directions. (716) 662-5692.

Thanks for all the responses. I have decided that this is the excuse I need to upgrade to an Ultrex with spot lock. I can't tell you how many times I have wanted to put the power poles down in deeper than 8 ft!
    Great call. I'd have gotten an Ultrex but they didn't exist when I got my Terrova. So far the Terrova is still working too well to justify the upgrade. Good luck!
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

13. #FRB
    Life's too short to not have spot lock
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

14. Member
    My Maxxum pro 101 did the exact same thing yesterday. I've been waiting for it to die for a while now so I could get an Ultrex, but this was bad timing. I just invested over 5k in electronics and no great Ultrex deals available at this time. After a little research, I have determined that was is the control panel in the pedal and that I can order that part for about $150 and easily replace it myself. I guess the Ultrex will have to wait until next year, hopefully it will be brushless.

15. Member
    You said a 70# Maxxum, but didn't say if it was a 5-speed or a variable speed. If it's a 5 speed, look under the footpedal where the 5-speed switch is. Sometimes the flag terminal will cut into one of the wires and cause smoke and trolling motor quit. This is an inexpensive fix. If it's variable speed, will probably be a control board, but still could be a wire issue. It's worth looking at.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

A great decision! I was hesitant to lay out almost $3,000 for an automated trolling motor, but now that I’ve done it, it may have been the best fishing related purchases I have made.
    Ranger R81
    Lowrance HDS Live 9”
    Lowrance HDS Live 12”
    Active Target 2 on Seelite Pole
    Lowrance Ghost
    Mercury 175

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    You said a 70# Maxxum, but didn't say if it was a 5-speed or a variable speed. If it's a 5 speed, look under the footpedal where the 5-speed switch is. Sometimes the flag terminal will cut into one of the wires and cause smoke and trolling motor quit. This is an inexpensive fix. If it's variable speed, will probably be a control board, but still could be a wire issue. It's worth looking at.
    John
    Excellent advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Commanche20 View Post
    All electrical devices run on smoke. When the smoke comes out it no longer works.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO