Point 1 / HDS 12

I have a new HDS Live 12, and when I am out in deep water, the gps doesn't seem to know where the boat is according to the structure. Hump/ point etc... I thought the internal gps would take care of this, but it looks like I need a Point 1, is this correct? I have the ghost trolling motor also, so is that an issue as well. It is doing this on both Navionics and CMap. Thank you in advance.

2. Member
    If you are talking about the map spinning around in circles, then yes, you need the point 1. The internal GPS only gives position of the boat, not heading (compass). The point 1 is what gives you the heading info.
    2020 Triton 206 Allure
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S Serial # 2B642047
    Bravo XS 22p @ 4.5" PTP
    Minn-Kota Terrova 112 w/ IPilot
    Lowrance Ti2 12" Console
    Lowrance Ti2 9" Bow
    Lowrance Point 1
    Standard Horizon GX2350S
    Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna

3. Member
    Point One CALIBRATION done?

Quote Originally Posted by flyinghappy View Post
    If you are talking about the map spinning around in circles, then yes, you need the point 1. The internal GPS only gives position of the boat, not heading (compass). The point 1 is what gives you the heading info.
    True but its no more accurate than what is in the unit. It will fix the spinning but if it really doesn’t know where you are, something is wrong with you unit.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    True but its no more accurate than what is in the unit. It will fix the spinning but if it really doesn’t know where you are, something is wrong with you unit.
    The GPS isn't any more accurate than the unit, but you can't get heading with the built in unit. From the way I read what he is looking for, it's not position its relation, ie is the hump on the back starboard corner or bow port corner etc. I could be wrong on how I read it though.
    2020 Triton 206 Allure
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S Serial # 2B642047
    Bravo XS 22p @ 4.5" PTP
    Minn-Kota Terrova 112 w/ IPilot
    Lowrance Ti2 12" Console
    Lowrance Ti2 9" Bow
    Lowrance Point 1
    Standard Horizon GX2350S
    Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghappy View Post
    The GPS isn't any more accurate than the unit, but you can't get heading with the built in unit. From the way I read what he is looking for, it's not position its relation, ie is the hump on the back starboard corner or bow port corner etc. I could be wrong on how I read it though.
    Point 1 will tell you where the hump is in relation to the boat. Also when in "north up" the arrow will always be pointing in the true direction ie. N S E W.

7. Member
    Get a Point 1 and select it as the source for Heading data on the bow unit. NOT GPS DATA. Set course up and the bow will always point at your underwater waypoint.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

8. Member
    Thank you all, I ordered a point 1 and the starter kit from a board sponsor.