Mercury 250 verado pro

I was interested in a 2016 fish/ski boat and it is equipped with a mercury verado 250 pro four stroke engine. I just want some feedback on the pros/cons. I read they have issues with oil contamination?

TIA!!

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Very good engines. As with anything used, be sure to get it checked out, including (at least):

-Serial Number Check

-Compression/Leakdown

-Gearcase Check

-Computer Diagnostic System Printouts (Run History and Freeze Frame/Fault History)

-Maintenance History (and current Needs) Review

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Very good engines. As with anything used, be sure to get it checked out, including (at least):

-Serial Number Check

-Compression/Leakdown

-Gearcase Check

-Computer Diagnostic System Printouts (Run History and Freeze Frame/Fault History)

-Maintenance History (and current Needs) Review
    Thank you Don!!

4. Member
    Awesome motors

mine has been flawless. 411 hours and I never seen oil problems. just do the oil check by the manual. simple and saves headaches
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

6. Member
    Is the 600lb really noticeable during towing or hole shot?

Quote Originally Posted by 4motion View Post
    Is the 600lb really noticeable during towing or hole shot?
    No, much quicker. Also the weight is not as you think. Doing a typical 2 vs 4 stroke isn’t that different. Oil tank steering controls longer Jack plate on 2 stroke vs 4 stroke is really less than you think.
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

8. Member
    Awesome, thanks!!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by camarojockey View Post
    the other thing is you can only have about 6 inches of setback the longer plates wont hold the weight
    The verado's also have like 4" of setback built into them. So a 6" plate will put you around 10" total.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by camarojockey View Post
    when you come off pad it is really noticable 18 250 verado on an 18 625 blazer pro elite very hard to not soak the back deck
    Different engine. Let's stick to the information for the SUPERCHARGED model that the Original Poster is asking about (and not confuse it with information from V8 models).

And yes, there is approximately 4" setback already built into the AMS (Advanced Mid-Section) used for Verado Models.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4motion View Post
    I was interested in a 2016 fish/ski boat and it is equipped with a mercury verado 250 pro four stroke engine. I just want some feedback on the pros/cons. I read they have issues with oil contamination?

TIA!!
    I have that motor on a Nitro Z20. It hasn’t missed a beat for four years. I take it in once a year to have it serviced and checked. Other than that I just use it.