Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Why not just buy the engine rated at the hp you are wanting? I would think an engine born with that tune cam profiles etc would be more reliable than one tweaked with the ecm only later. Could be wrong.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    Why not just buy the engine rated at the hp you are wanting? I would think an engine born with that tune cam profiles etc would be more reliable than one tweaked with the ecm only later. Could be wrong.

because if I ever decide to tournament fish... I could have my cake and eat it too lol. I could have a 100%factory ecu and another tuned for 300+hp.

and the main reason, I’ve never ever kept a car or truck stock. So why should I have to keep my boat stock? I buy a new vehicle with the biggest available engine and almost immediately tune it at the very least. Some of them I’ve put bigger cam, head work, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by g352nv View Post
    What I don't understand is if someone is willing to wave their rights to warranty and run the software then what's the issues?
    Because to many people refuse to take ownership of their actions. The do something like this and knowingly violate the warranty and the blame Mercury when they, justifiably, refuse to honor a warranty claim.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin1012 View Post
    because if I ever decide to tournament fish... I could have my cake and eat it too lol. I could have a 100%factory ecu and another tuned for 300+hp.

and the main reason, I’ve never ever kept a car or truck stock. So why should I have to keep my boat stock? I buy a new vehicle with the biggest available engine and almost immediately tune it at the very least. Some of them I’ve put bigger cam, head work, etc.
    I wonder how many people are as honest as you to run a different ECU when they are in a tournament?

And they are not saying you can't modify the engine, just don't come to them asking for help if it goes sideways. If you put a new cam or worked head in a new Chevy, Ford or Dodge, they are going to tell you the same thing I suspect. That said, I think there are some mods that won't void your warranty or perhaps the product of the mod, (like a blower), will pick of the slack if needed.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Because to many people refuse to take ownership of their actions. The do something like this and knowingly violate the warranty and the blame Mercury when they, justifiably, refuse to honor a warranty claim.
    From my understanding Merc can tell if the ecu has been messed with. Let them play, just my opinion. I mod everything, but I don't mod my outboard. My verado has way enough power for me.

6. Member
    So does this mean Mercury will no longer allow their engines, that are not factory tuned, to be used in boat racing?
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    I wonder how many people are as honest as you to run a different ECU when they are in a tournament?

And they are not saying you can't modify the engine, just don't come to them asking for help if it goes sideways. If you put a new cam or worked head in a new Chevy, Ford or Dodge, they are going to tell you the same thing I suspect. That said, I think there are some mods that won't void your warranty or perhaps the product of the mod, (like a blower), will pick of the slack if needed.
    I understand they aren’t saying I can’t modify my engine. But I’m not a tuner and can’t do that part. I do all my own mechanic work. Been a mechanic all my life. And when something blows up I don’t even try to get it warrantied. I just fix it myself....

8. Member
    Here is my issue with this - SHO has a proven track record of mods. The merc can be the same. This is not rocket science. If you mod it, you forfeit the warranty. Some are OK with this

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G4bama View Post
    So does this mean Mercury will no longer allow their engines, that are not factory tuned, to be used in boat racing?
    Ok... this is running off the rails at this point. Can you think of a Mercury Racing engine model built since 2000 that didn't have a PCM or ECU?

And yes, not only can Merc tell if the PCM has been messed with- the Engine Serial Number is encoded into the PCM, and replacement PCM's are not listed as "replacement parts" on some of the PCM-112 models (especially the "R" or Racing models).
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 06-05-2020 at 01:30 PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Ok... this is running off the rails at this point. Can you think of a Mercury Racing engine model built since 2000 that didn't have a PCM or ECU?

And yes, not only can Merc tell if the PCM has been messed with- the Engine Serial Number is encoded into the PCM, and replacement PCM's are not listed as "replacement parts" on the PCM-112 models.
    So you are saying a PCM-112 will have a ZERO failure rate? HA! Never happen, electronics fail, that's why I have a job of 30 years repairing and replacing electronics.

11. Member
    So 1 more question on this. Don, can I buy a 150 fourstroke pro xs ecu and put on my regular fourstroke? That would only be 5hp extra, but it would raise the rev limit by 200rpm.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZII View Post
    So you are saying a PCM-112 will have a ZERO failure rate? HA! Never happen, electronics fail, that's why I have a job of 30 years repairing and replacing electronics.
    Joe- you know that's not at all what I said. It simply means that any replacements have to be obtained through Mercury's Warranty Service Department (on a case-by-case basis) and when a replacement is needed it will be encoded with the serial number information by them.

I should further clarify that most of the "R" or Race models show the PCM as "NSS" (Not Sold Separately). Part numbers are now listed for most of the Fourstroke, Verado V8, ProXS and SeaPro models.

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin1012
    So 1 more question on this. Don, can I buy a 150 fourstroke pro xs ecu and put on my regular fourstroke? That would only be 5hp extra, but it would raise the rev limit by 200rpm.
    Theoretically, yes... but there are other differences between the two models (including but not necessarily limited to the mounts and gearcase). And... illegal to do so.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 06-05-2020 at 01:30 PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Banned
    The 75 runs so much nicer with the 115 tune.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin1012 View Post
    Me and the wife just got through talking about trading in our current boat. I really want an Allison with a mercury, but if mercury is going to stop everyone from tuning them i guess I’ll have to look at Yamaha.... I’ve been a mercury guy for 15+years, but I really am rethinking it now
    Well if Mercury is cracking down I'd expect other outboard manufacturers to follow course in short order... Dan

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    Well if Mercury is cracking down I'd expect other outboard manufacturers to follow course in short order... Dan
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    The 75 runs so much nicer with the 115 tune.
    Yup! Glad we got in before the lockdown!

17. Member
    If your out of warranty who cares WTF you do with YOUR Engine. So you buy and upgrade to make it more "efficient" and your punished.

18. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    All about the almighty dollar.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

No one likes a pot licker or GPS pirate. FIND YOUR OWN FISH!

its pretty simple guys...
    if everyone could buy a 225 v8 and spend $1000 or less to bump it up to 350hp, WHY BY A STOCK 350??????
    if i owned MERC , I WOULD DO THE SAME THING>>>.....
    if you want 300 HP , BUY A 300!
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

20. Member
    Then give the customer a legit reason to buy a 300 other than all hardware being the same just a different calibration. You don't see GM selling a Detuned 5.3L 250hp engine featuring all the same components as a LTZ 340hp Engine. And if your that touchy on your calibration go Cloud based ECU calibrations. This will turn out to a "Who you know" scam of price hikes now.

Essentially Merc was happy to save the almighty dollar in hardware but doesn't want you the consumer to save the dollar by upgrading YOUR engine when YOU want to.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast