Current Wisconsin spawning stage

Wondering what spawn stage you guys think the bass are in right now for your area. I've been fishing a few lakes around Antigo and water temps have been in the 70's. Anywhere down as low as 72 up to 77, and I expect temps to rise this week even more with the warmer water.

The bite has been tough for me, by-and-large. I think they are in the spawn/late spawn/early post spawn at this point. My brother and I caught two 20 inchers this week that looked spawned out too.

Looking at going out tomorrow or Thursday and I'm sure whether to go shallow or look at structure out side spawning areas.

What has been producing for you guys?

2. Member
    It's going to highly depend on the lake. I was finding them on beds last week Thursday in Vilas county and days before that in Southern Wisconsin they weren't on some of the lakes I fish.

3. Member
    I've been fishing more north, Taylor, price, and Bayfield. Was last out Sunday. Warmest water I've seen yet was 64.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KnightWKNF View Post
    It's going to highly depend on the lake. I was finding them on beds last week Thursday in Vilas county and days before that in Southern Wisconsin they weren't on some of the lakes I fish.
    I guess I should add I was looking at brown ones and not green ones.

5. Member
    I haven't been out much but I think the majority of females are off the beds, but last time I was out the water was only mid 60s, 72-77 up near Antigo seems crazy?
    Southern Wisconsin
    Cheese County Bass Club

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Umckibben View Post
    I haven't been out much but I think the majority of females are off the beds, but last time I was out the water was only mid 60s, 72-77 up near Antigo seems crazy?
    Southern Wisconsin
    You're telling me, man. I was pretty shocked how quickly it warmed from last week. Some of that was in a shallow, weedy lake in Shawano County too. The other lake was a smaller one that would warm pretty quickly compared to a larger lake. (Lower Bass Lake)

7. Member
    The spawn this year has me all kinds of confused. I'm at the point now where I'm hoping they get that part wrapped up quick and get to eating bluegill heavy. My lilac bush is in full bloom today. Bass should be done and cruising gill beds.

8. Member
    Water temperature was 67 on Friday and tonight I seen 76. I’ve hardly seen any fish on beds all spring. I think most fish here spawned early. It doesn’t take em long.

9. Member
    On the plus side, if they've all spawned it's time to break out the frog rod!
    Cheese County Bass Club

10. Member
    I don't know if you guys saw any of the H2H SE WI tournament last week. Geneva, Whitewater and Delavan. Looks like a lot of them were on beds and the fishing was really tough even for the experienced tournament guys.

11. Member
    I’m heading up to Oneida/Vilas County area June 3-7. Should I expect the smallmouth to be post-spawn?

12. Member
    Washburn and Sawyer county the smallmouth are on beds now. Probably finishing up in the next few days
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250HP Evinrude E-Tec

"Haulin' Ass and Chasin' Bass"

13. Member
    Oconto county,I have been catching some bedding fish slow rollin a Spinnerbait as far back I can get in creek channels,you would be surprised how many
    Bites with this technic,bring right to the bed and kill it,I use a bluegill colored bait
    Last edited by kvdwannabe; 05-27-2020 at 10:08 PM.
    Outlaw Bass

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    I’m heading up to Oneida/Vilas County area June 3-7. Should I expect the smallmouth to be post-spawn?
    I just got back from 10 days up there. Things moved very fast this year with how quickly the water warmed up. When I got there last Sunday the main lake water was 48F. By the weekend it was 60F. They were staged to move up mostly for the first 5-7 days; caught a lot of fat females feeding on the first break. Many fish started prepping beds late Thursday heading into the new moon Friday (22nd). By the end of the weekend a lot of males were already guarding beds. Even as late as last night new beds were still popping up. Things will vary lake to lake up there depending on clarity and size. Good luck up there!

PS Mosquitoes are already out in full force. Be prepared to deal with the swarm
    A fisherman is a jerk on one end of the line
    ~~~~ waiting for a jerk on the other ~~~~

2007 Triton TR21XHP
    2006 Mercury 250 Optimax Pro XS

15. Member
    Fished a lake in Northern Taylor County last night. 68-70. Mosquitoes were horrible. Damn near carried me away.

16. Member
    Had 64’ water on LCO today. Might be in the 30’s tonight. Been catching a lot of fat fish blind casting. All are ready to go.

17. Member
    Crushed em on beds the last two days. Yesterday calumet county today northern Oconto county.

18. Member
    Got back from our trip to the Vilas County area June3-7. We caught plenty of fish. Water temps ranged from 64-71 depending upon the lake. First day the beds we had seen were probably 2/3 vacant. The following 3 days it seemed that there were more occupied beds and more popping up. Had a mayfly hatch on that Thursday but it didn’t seem to bother the bite. We were able to locate fish by seeing them popping mayflies. Topwater and Ned Rigs did most of the damage