Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs Up 2020 196 upgrades

So, about 3 weeks ago I decided to go forward with some upgrades to my old girl... On the list are:

• Full Garmin System including
      • New Force Trolling Motor
      • 3 Echo Map Ultra 106 Units
      • Livescope Unit

• All new wiring for all units and fuse block install to clean up new/existing wiring
    • New Carpet with padding
    • New pumps for bilge, aerator, hydro and pumpout
    • New Lines to all pumps
    • New thru hull fittings for bilge and pumpout
    • New battery trays
    • Several wiring clean-ups and corrections along the way
    • New Trolling Motor tray
    • New gas springs everywhere
    • Thorough Bilge cleaning
    • Couple of new cupholder installs
    • New Rod Buckle on partner rod ramp.

It's a big project and I'll be posting updates and pics along the way...

Current update:

1. Force is installed and terminated
    2. Livescope transducer is installed on TM
    3. GT-54 UHD transducer is installed.
    4. 2 of 4 hew pumps are installed.
    5. New pump lines and pumpout lines are installed minus new thru-hull fittings in gunwhale.
    6. Have pulled a few lids and started the carpeting and padding. Learned how to do this and what the process is. Hope to get the lids finished by the weekend then work on the deck next week.
    7. GLS 10 Unit is located but haven't drilled the holes yet. Will wait until carpet is complete before punching new holes and securing it.
    8. Cut hole for new cupholder in the drivers console. Did this to make use of the area where old Lowrance GPS antenna was installed.
    9. New Balzout mounts are received and have been mocked-up for locations. Will wait to complete carpeting before final installs of forward mount. These mounts are impressive!! You could drive a tank over them and not hurt them and the CS I've received from Balzout is nothing short of spectacular. I've dealt with Shane and he's been VERY helpful in configuring these and getting them shipped to me FAST.

Will post pics of the upgrades as I go...

3. Member

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar

i know Reggie...I'm getting there...slowly...

Here's a start...Fuse Block.jpg

This is the fuse block in the starboard bilge area prior to installing the master power and ground...

7. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar

I know I'm long overdue for an update. Here are some pics of progress so far...

IMG_0363.jpg
    New rear deck seat.

IMG_0365.jpg
    Had a flat at speed last year and these are the wheels I chose to replace the old ones.

IMG_0390.jpg

The new dual Garmin front mount from Balzout and new Troll Comfort pedal tray just mocked up.

IMG_0394.jpg

New cupholder I installed in the driver's console. This is where my old Lowrance GPS antenna was and I just made the hole (a lot) bigger and put a cupholder in it.

IMG_0398.jpg

Example of new carpet on lids...

IMG_0402.jpg

New lines and pump for Hydro and Aerator.

IMG_0403.jpg

Lower bilge area with new pumps and lines.

IMG_0411.jpg

Aft deck carpeting done. Still have to install the hardware and re-install to deck.

Looking pretty decent so far...
    Last edited by Mizzou211; 06-12-2020 at 12:46 PM.

9. Member
    Nice work! The wiring looks professional! Where did you put the new cup holder?

10. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by wishitwasbigger View Post
    It's in the fwd side of the driver's console. Put it there for a 2nd person on the front desk to use. I bought another one just like it and am contemplating doing the same on the pax side.

Quote Originally Posted by wishitwasbigger View Post
    Thanks for the compliments on the wiring. I've been installing wiring on commercial, corporate and military aircraft most of my adult life, so wiring is a big thing for me. Having it less than "perfect" is like a needle in my eye! This could be a little better, but I don't fit in areas like bilges like I did in my 20s!!! And, at some point, usually after a few beers, my "it's good enough" light comes on and I just move forward...lol.

13. Member
    Excited for more pics!

I'm working the mid section of the boat over the weekend. Removed all the trim rails and carpet last night, except for one small section where the partner rod butts go. Can't figure out how to get the rod butt holders out and they've got a section of carpet trapped! I took the cooler and driver's step out last night and prepped them for carpet. Will get them done over the weekend too.

I'll get some more pics over the weekend and post them.

Thanks guys!

15. Member
    Nice looking work! Looks a lot like how I did my live well and bilge plumbing. I also put my main fuse block in the right aft compartment. Somethings just make sense!

I had previously bought a smaller Blue Sea fuse block, a 6 circuit unit. I quickly determined I needed a bigger one so got the same unit you have. I have a whole boat kill switch that can tap into one trolling battery to jump the start battery and I think I went with a 50A breaker between it and the fuse block/other whole boat wiring. So I can cut everything off entirely, and there is a separate layer of safety with the breaker, might be excessive, but works for me.

As I worked through the re-wiring project, I ended up buying a new Deutch harnes plug, I think it was 2x12 for 24 wires total, and ended up cutting out over 4ft of excess wire they had used and just wadded together back in the day. Not sure why they made those harnesses with so much extra wire unless they had designed the same basic wiring harness to work in all lengths of boat. So the switch panel at the drivers seat, all those wires go into this harness plug and you can effectively remove the switch panel with everything attached to it and separate if from the rest of the wiring by disconnecting that plug. And that initial 6 circuit fuse block, I ended up installing it up under the drivers console and it's dedicated to electronics. It has it's own feed from the main fuse block in the aft compartment and powers only the graphs, NMEA backbone, and SS3D unit, with one circuit left if needed down the road.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

16. Member
    Looks great.
    I don't see many Champs around ks! Hope to see you on the water someday.

17. Member
    looking good!
    Nelson

I didn't make as much progress as I wanted over the weekend...spent both days on the ball diamonds.

I finished covering the foot rest, but I don't like how it turned out so I'm going to re-do it. I've decided to use bed liner on the foot part since I can't get the rubber to stick to the aluminum very well. I think it'll look better and be better non-skid too.

The center section is all but ready to carpet. I've decided to carpet the seat base area and seat back area too, and will do it all in one piece to eliminate having to match seams.

I also installed riv-nuts in all the places where the seat parts screw in but don't have a wood backing for the screws to bite in to. Looks good and will be much more secure for the seat screws. Went with 10-24 aluminum riv-nuts which should be plenty to secure the seats.

I'll try and post some pics later tonight.

I'm ready to lay the carpet in the center of the boat today. I think I'm going to install the cooler first, then put it in.

Here's a shot of the seat bench area ready for carpet.

IMG_0001.jpg

Here's the driver's foot rest. I took the non-skid off since it wouldn' stick worth a damn. Gonna try to re-cover this today and put the bed liner material on. It's gonna be a bear since the carpet glue is still very gummy...fun...not.
    IMG_0002.jpg

Another shot of the seating area where installed the riv-nuts. Not sure why there's not a wood stip behine these...maybe something to do with how/when the tank is installed during the build process.
    IMG_0003.jpg

Close-up of the riv-nuts. Drilling out a hole so close to the tank really does increase the pucker factor a little. I used a drill stop, but still...

IMG_0004.jpg

Some of the switches i've replaced...

IMG_0005.jpg

Shot of the Balzout mount at the console. The base is this way because I screwed up the RAM mount I installed several years ago. Shane at Balzout sent me this base to use so I can use the existing holes. I HATE the fact that this is drilled into the gunwhale, but it is what it is.

IMG_0006.jpg

I'll try to take pics of today's progress...assuming I make any.

20. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Looking good there, Mark! So, you've resolved an issue I've had on my boat for a year or so. My tank cover/seat support is aluminum. All the hardware is secured by 10-24 machine screws tapped into the aluminum. Well, the bottom screws on the port seat back have stripped out. For now I have them secured with #12x3/4" sheet metal screws. Like you say, working that close to the tank has it's pucker factor, especially with the point of a sheet metal screw. If I was still an airport bum, I would have possibly thought of using riv-nuts but the thought never crossed my mind. It looks like the ideal solution to my problem.

Did Rocker Switch Pros do your switch actuators? I'm going to be building up bow panels for the late model Elites and going to need to label switches rather than the panel itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast