Easter 6: Why so many Sundays of Easter?

Why so many?--Because we have that much to celebrate. Psalm 111 continues to celebrate Christ's victory over sin, death, devil, hell. All on our behalf. The assigned Old Testament lesson is Jeremiah 29, "(I) will bring you back from captivity." The captivity of the Israelites in Babylon? True, but think bigger--way bigger. Freedom from the bondage of sin.

"I know that my Redeemer lives."

5. He lives to silence all my fears.
    He lives to wipe away my tears.
    He lives to calm my troubled heart.
    He lives all blessings to impart.

7. He lives and grants me daily breath.
    He lives and I shall conquer death.
    He lives my mansion to prepare.
    He lives to bring me safely there.

On that first Easter, Jesus won a victory over death for you and me (Christ rose). Death is the result of our sin. Christ defeated sin too. Sin is from the devil, Christ defeated him too ("Crushed his head" Gen 3:15). Hell is the devil's endgame. Christ defeated hell. All this is sure because Christ rose from the dead. All who trust in Christ share in that victory. Psalm 111 is about celebrating what Jesus did for you and me on Easter:

Psalm 111:2,4,7,9,10
    2Great are the works of the Lord;
    they are pondered by all who delight in them.

4He has caused his wonders to be remembered;
    the Lord is gracious and compassionate..

7The works of his hands are faithful and just;
    all his precepts are trustworthy.

9He provided redemption for his people;
    he ordained his covenant forever—
    holy and awesome is his name.

10The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;
    all who follow his precepts have good understanding.
    To him belongs eternal praise.

V2. You are blessed beyond measure. Blessed with the faith that the works of the LORD will bring eternal joy to you. This is important when the present darkness weighs us down. We become increasingly aware of the effects of sin in the world (our sin). There is more to life. By faith in Christ, you can look beyond this earth to heaven.

V4. The only reason you know of what Christ has done for you is because the Holy Spirit caused the salvation history to be preserved in His love-letter to you---the Holy Bible. That's the only place you can learn that forgiveness and life are yours thru faith in Christ.

V7,9. Jesus came in fulfillment of a prophecy 4000 years old. Galatians 4, "When the time had fully come, God sent His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those under the law." God directed history and brought us a Savior to fulfill all those ancient prophecies. Born of a virgin. Born in Bethlehem. Tortured and killed.

All this happened as payment for all our sin, forever. All the dozens of names given Jesus throughout Scripture reveal to us His true nature--His sacrificial love and compassion for you and me.

V10. "Fear" is often misunderstood. We look at 'fear' thru our sinful lense. Guilt. Retribution. Constant fear of punishment. Look at 'fear' thru Christ enduring our punishment. We have been granted eternal life because Christ took our hell. Easter is awesome. Jesus is awesome. That's the proper "fear of the LORD".

We know only the tip of the iceberg of what God has done for us. In this time of the pandemic, we hear voices telling us to put our trust in something else. Even in the face of sickness and death, we have no fear of these things. Christ has defeated sickness, death, sin, devil, hell.

John 14: (Jesus said) "Because I live, you will live also."

excerpts sermon 5/17/20

Last edited by msethsmile; 05-26-2020 at 09:29 AM.