Trolling motor upgrade, which one and why?

Gents,
    My son and I are saving to upgrade from our Fortrex to something with a spot lock feature. We have had the Ultrex on our previous Bass Cats but I am fascinated by these new brushless motors. We run a 919 and love it, the only thing we want to change about it is the trolling motor. I did play around with a ghost on the water this past weekend, I wasnt all that impressed with it. It was very quiet but it just didnt seem as smooth of holding position as the Ultrex, Im also curious about the MG and the Garmin. Weigh in Phoenix owners and tell me what you did when you made the swap and how you have liked or disliked it? I love the simplicity and ruggedness of the Fortrex but there are times when we really miss that spot lock type of feature. Thanks in advance!
    Danny

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Are you wanting the TM to interface with your units?? If so and assuming the units can interface, i'd say get the same brand. If not, tough call. I have an Ultrex now with Garmin units, if i were changing, i'd go with Garmin so i could interface them. If not, i'd be interested in the Motor Guide.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    I upgraded to an Ultrex on my 920xp before all the others came out. My tournament partner changed to a Ghost on his 521 Ranger, it's good but I like my Ultrex better. I think that the spot lock is better on the Ultrex & the prop on the Ghost seemed to break very easy. I've probably abused the prop on my Ultrex & it's held up much better.

4. Member
    I dont care about integration, did that with my previous boat, Solix units and link Ultrex, never even used the feature. I just want a good durable motor that isnt problematic.

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Well, we dont know how durable the MotorGuide, Garmin and Lowrance cause they just started getting used last year. Motor Guide is just now starting to ship so we dont know much about them. If you want to wait, the rumor is Power Pole was supposed to be announcing their troller this year at Icast but with it being canceled, not sure when it will be.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

6. Member
    I've abused my Ultrex for a few years. It's been bullet proof (my experience). I think I will wait for a power pole TM. I think they will bring something cool to the market (or hoping).

7. Member
    My previous Ultrex motors were very good, zero issues so my son is wanting that. I just wish it had the brushless motor in it. It seems like the most logical and tested choice by far but wanted to see what you guys thought.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

8. Member
    Cant go wrong with a MinnKota. I returned my ghost after a day of using it. Hated it. Electric steer stinks, GPS doesnt appear to be built in without a puck. I run my MinnKota Ultrex without a puck for years now no issues. The u bracket on the motor mount of an ultrex keeps it nice and stable in big water. No U bracket on a ghost. The biggest upsides are the brushless motor and 24/36v flexibility. Other than that, I think they need to make some revisions still.

9. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    I have 2 Ultrex's. They both been in the shop for different reasons. I got the 1st one when they first came out. After about a year & half the pedal wouldn't move. I took it in for repairs and had to go buy another because I had a Costa Tournament in a few days (this was all before the new ones). So I picked up the the 1st one and carried it in my truck as a spare. Year or so later (1 month ago) the other needed the mount repaired. I was still using the mount from the 1st buy on the 2nd motor and I wore out a bushing / spacer. Just got it back last week. So now the original is back on...on the new 2nd motor's mount, and #2 is in the truck as a spare. The sleeve jackets on both also cracked and have been replaced. Also...The one I just got back had a new Heading Sensor put in. Minn Kota is replacing those on all motors that go in for repair. Now I sorta want to take the original back in for that Heading Sensor, but don't wanna mess with taking it off, running the cables, etc... I still love love me some Ultrex though.
    Last edited by Fidgetcranker; 05-31-2020 at 01:58 AM.

10. Member
    Thx for the detailed reply bud.

11. Member
    I'm getting the garmin on my 919 in the next week and will add a review once i get her out on the water. Everything i have seen and read about the garmin is really impressive, and feedback i got from 2 who have the garmin love it.

mark

MARK MADEROS

12. Member
    Our Fortrex started acting up this weekend during my sons state championship, needless to say he is on me to upgrade big time now. I can’t wait to hear your Garmin review, we have a friend with that Tm on their 721 and they love it. I need to get in their boat and try it.

I tried a Garmin at a demo booth at an outdoor show and didn't like the steering compared to the Ultrex, seemed to be a lot of lag in comparison. I've had 3 Ultrex's and not a hiccup so it would take something significantly better to switch. The Garmin does have some nice features. Some buddies who are running the Ghost have had issues including use in heavy weeds being very difficult and as mentioned above props breaking.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

14. Member
    Been fishing with my buddy that has a Garmin and he has had more trouble. Quite working in a big tournment. I'll stick with my ultrex.

15. Member
    I went from a Ultrex to a Garmin and I have no complaints. Its responsive, has no lag from foot pedal and seems to be made very well. Now full disclosure. I did spend about a hour with tech support and they walked me through all their recommended settings, and I am hardwired in for power if that makes any difference. If I had to do it again I would.
    Risen From The Ashes!!

16. Member
    I'm going to wait and see what the new Power Pole trolling motor has to offer.....

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

17. Banned
    I love the ghost versus Ultrex...but I also have a G2