Helix not showing depth

Helix 12 gen 3 mega plus di. just installed my mega 360 transducer. i am running the y cable. went to settings in custom mode, added depth and temp in overlay boxes. when on 360 i get temp but no depth. tried adding to several diffrent boxes but it still doesnt show up. ??
    Last edited by steve w; 05-26-2020 at 03:42 AM.

Did you select HW/MDI+/MEGA 360 in the Connected Transducer menu?
    Default with the MEGA 360 is just the MEGA 360.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Yes sir , that was the problem. went to lake this morning and did that and it showed up. thanks !!

Mr. Wayne,
    So you’re saying that each time we power up the units it will automatically default to M360? Then we need to change it to the HW/MDI+/MEGA360 setting to receive depths, etc?
    2015 Ranger RT188 (white) * 2015 Etec 115 * Minn Kota Fortrex #80 * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N @ Helix 12 G4N on bow * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N at console * M360-MEGA Live
    Blue Water LED Red Deck Lights, LED White Light in Rod Box & Trailer Backup Lights * V-T2 Live Well Vents * Lew's Rod and Reels. Cool Foot pad on t/ motor .

Quote Originally Posted by Sammiew View Post
    Mr. Wayne,
    So you’re saying that each time we power up the units it will automatically default to M360? Then we need to change it to the HW/MDI+/MEGA360 setting to receive depths, etc?
    Yes
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    I just installed two Helix 7's G3N units on my 89 Champion 176. I bought the dual helix starter kit with a shoot thru hull transducer. The console unit is MEGA SI G3N and the trolling motor unit is MEGA DI G3N with a Xtm-9-Hw-Mdi-75-T transducer. I have the SI transducer installed on the transom as far down as possible and the shoot thru transducer in the bilge (center of the boat). My depth readings are all messed up as soon as I start to get on plane. I have the units networked with a single network cable. On the SI unit the STH xdcr and SI xdcr are both connected with a Y cable. The SI unit defaults to HW+ 150 SI transducers. Is this correct? How do I know what transducer is being used when I start moving? It seems like it it may not be switching to the STH transducer. The frequencies look correct but I am basing that off the spec sheet for the transducers. I am totally new to anything this modern so any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchelbryan View Post
    I just installed two Helix 7's G3N units on my 89 Champion 176. I bought the dual helix starter kit with a shoot thru hull transducer. The console unit is MEGA SI G3N and the trolling motor unit is MEGA DI G3N with a Xtm-9-Hw-Mdi-75-T transducer. I have the SI transducer installed on the transom as far down as possible and the shoot thru transducer in the bilge (center of the boat). My depth readings are all messed up as soon as I start to get on plane. I have the units networked with a single network cable. On the SI unit the STH xdcr and SI xdcr are both connected with a Y cable. The SI unit defaults to HW+ 150 SI transducers. Is this correct? How do I know what transducer is being used when I start moving? It seems like it it may not be switching to the STH transducer. The frequencies look correct but I am basing that off the spec sheet for the transducers. I am totally new to anything this modern so any help would be appreciated.
    Did you do the proper on the water testing to determine the best location for the shoot-thru BEFORE you bonded it to the hull?

The factory default setting for the transducer is the SI transducer that comes with the unit.
    Adding the shoot-thru with Y cable changes nothing but the physical location of the 2D piezo.
    The 2D piezo in the SI transducer is disconnected (no wires) and the added shoot-thru is connected in its place (wires).
    There is no selecting, switching, automatic, or magic involved==just wires.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Wayne-
    Thanks for your response. I removed the factory in-hull transducer, sanded the surface smooth to remove all of the old adhesive and then placed the new shoot thru transducer the in the exact same location. So if I understand correctly if I want to take the shoot through hull transducer out of the equation I would need to remove the Y cable and plug the SI transducer directly in the back of the helix? I placed the SI transducer in a location per the humminbird directions (clearance both ways and low turbulence so I am curious what depth readings it will provide on its own.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by mitchelbryan View Post
    Wayne-
    Thanks for your response. I removed the factory in-hull transducer, sanded the surface smooth to remove all of the old adhesive and then placed the new shoot thru transducer the in the exact same location. So if I understand correctly if I want to take the shoot through hull transducer out of the equation I would need to remove the Y cable and plug the SI transducer directly in the back of the helix? I placed the SI transducer in a location per the humminbird directions (clearance both ways and low turbulence so I am curious what depth readings it will provide on its own.

Thank you!
    Yes the SI transducer has a 2D piezo and will do 2D/Depth. The Y cable disconnects that element and replaces it with the shoot-thru.

BTW, you should have tested the shoot-thru and did on-the-water testing before you bonded it to the hull. You should prove the transducer works correctly and the location is the best before the bonding.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by steve w View Post
    Helix 12 gen 3 mega plus di. just installed my mega 360 transducer. i am running the y cable. went to settings in custom mode, added depth and temp in overlay boxes. when on 360 i get temp but no depth. tried adding to several diffrent boxes but it still doesnt show up. ??
    Try doing a “Restore Defaults” on the Helix. It fixed the same anomaly you are experiencing.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s