Thread: Kabetogama

Kabetogama

I'm heading up to Kabetogama with a group of buddies in mid-June for a week and was wondering how's the fishing that time of year? We've never gone up there before and are staying near the Wooden frog Campground on Park Point.

I'm the only bass nut in the group and all the other guys will be after walleye and pike.

It looks like the rocks are marked pretty well on Navionics, but are there any areas where we need to be extra careful?
    It also looks like there's some really cool offshore reefs and humps, will there be any fish out there in June?

Thanks for any advice!
    2012 Nitro Z8
    225 Mercury Pro XS

Mid June if I were bass fishing I would be throw to the bank(3-6 FOW) looking for big rocks that fish will be setup around and looking for beds.
    Last edited by hydrashack; 05-26-2020 at 01:22 PM.

3. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Namakin is farther East, and would also be good for bass. It will be a shallow bite for bass. I usually don’t walleye fish till July. The bass are too much fun. If you do venture to namakin, just be careful to stay on US side. You map should show the boundary.

4. Member
    Thanks guys. I've been reading a lot about the bass at Namakan, kab seems to be more about the walleye. I have found some pretty cool videos on youtube of the bass going off on poppers tho. Man I can't wait!
    2012 Nitro Z8
    225 Mercury Pro XS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by natrix19 View Post
    I'm heading up to Kabetogama with a group of buddies in mid-June for a week and was wondering how's the fishing that time of year? We've never gone up there before and are staying near the Wooden frog Campground on Park Point.

I'm the only bass nut in the group and all the other guys will be after walleye and pike.

It looks like the rocks are marked pretty well on Navionics, but are there any areas where we need to be extra careful?
    It also looks like there's some really cool offshore reefs and humps, will there be any fish out there in June?

Thanks for any advice!
    I am headed to Kab on June 5th. Main lake water temps are upper 50’s and near 70 degree water in the shallow pockets/ bays. It has been very warm there and the smallmouth are already heading in to spawn. They should still be shallow and on topwater when you get there. Poppers, tiny torpedoes, super spook Jr., etc are good choices. Also, your favorite swimbait in the 3.3, 3.8 length on 1/8 oz swim or jig head. Look for sand, gravel, with football and larger size rocks mixed in on banks and islands. The Walleye eaters are in 25-35 right now. I can update this when I get up there next weekend.

Sam
    Gambler Outlaw 1900 SC
    Mercury Optimax 200 3.0 liter Torquemaster
    Mercury Trophy 25P
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    Garmin 106sv Ultra & 93sv UHD

6. Member
    Thanks Sam, I appreciate that! We'll be up there 6/13-21, so right behind you.

I've noticed there's been some warm weather up there lately. Is there a link you use to see the water temp, or is that just from word of mouth? I was looking all over for that information and couldn't find anything.
    2012 Nitro Z8
    225 Mercury Pro XS

7. Member
    I am up here right now. Came in Saturday and leaving Wednesday. Water temp varies, but anywhere from 61 to 70 in Kabetogama. If you go to Namakan 52 - 56. We are catching fish but not killing them. The size of the bass are a little bigger. We have had several fish in the 3+ lb range. We have caught some walleye and several hammer handles along the way too. Stopped by Pelican on the way up and fished Friday night and Saturday morning. It was really warm 68-71. Fishing was really good there. Nothing huge but average fish were about 3 lbs. LM and SM.

Have fun boys. Will be back up where in June 26th, so make sure you guys post when you guys get back.

8. Member
    Thanks for the report! So the bass are bigger on Namakan? I'm surprised how warm the water is up there, as it's about the same on my local waters here in IL.
    2012 Nitro Z8
    225 Mercury Pro XS

9. Member
    We made it back to Namakan today, but a different part, down by Hoist, Junction bay. Water temp was all over 66 down to 55. Really weird. The other day we stay on the west end of Namakan. We had an okay day. Today we had a nice swim bait bite, but the northern were biting us off. We had a couple of nice 3+ lbers but not as good as the other day.