Finally figured out where the waters coming from

I always had more water than I liked in my boat after a day of fishing when I pulled the plug. I thought it was coming from my transom tiedown hooks, and I think some of it was. Not often do I keep fish, so I don’t use my live wells much. The other day while running my live well , I looked in my transom compartment, and could see water dripping from the overflow at my live well. Naturally I just thought the hose clamp would be loose. After checking the hose clamp, and even removing the hose and reinstalling it, it still leaked water. So I reached up inside the live well, and noticed there is a hole in the top near the overflow nipple. Apparently when they installed the seat pedestal on the rear deck, they drilled too far and punctured my live well. This is obvious because the hole is directly below the screws holding in the seat pedestal. It will be an easy fix, a little dab of silicone, but nevertheless kind of irritating. i’m sure to get it fixed would be a major job to remove the live well.... I’m not going through all that. I’m sure all they would do is fill the hole with silicone anyway. Good news is I found at least one of the sources where water is entering.

Well at least you found it. That stuff is irritating tho. Sometimes makes you wonder if they even know they did it or do and just dont care.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    Well at least you found it. That stuff is irritating tho. Sometimes makes you wonder if they even know they did it or do and just dont care.
    i’m guessing whoever drilled the holes to install the pedestal just ran the bit down too far, probably have no idea they did it. It would be a major job to remove it, I think I’m just going to find a small rubber plug that I can wedge in there and then silicone around it, should never be an issue after that. Good news is it’s completely out of sight so that’s good ......But I agree, never should’ve happened.

I had exactly the same thing, 3 holes, they clearly need a short drill or a drill stop to restrict the depth. Silicone fixes it and because it’s virtually impossible to see it doesn’t matter if it’s neat. I pm someone a while back and gave them this info, thought it was you?
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo59 View Post
    I had exactly the same thing, 3 holes, they clearly need a short drill or a drill stop to restrict the depth. Silicone fixes it and because it’s virtually impossible to see it doesn’t matter if it’s neat. I pm someone a while back and gave them this info, thought it was you?
    I just looked in my private messages, quite some time ago I had a conversation with you about the set up regarding an 18TRX, but that’s the only thing I show. Apparently if it happened to you, they definitely have a problem with their bits being too long. Now you’ve got me thinking I need to look further to make sure I don’t have more than one hole!!

Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    I just looked in my private messages, quite some time ago I had a conversation with you about the set up regarding an 18TRX, but that’s the only thing I show. Apparently if it happened to you, they definitely have a problem with their bits being too long. Now you’ve got me thinking I need to look further to make sure I don’t have more than one hole!!
    i just checked as well it was someone else I told sorry, and yer, because the holes are up on top of that ledge, it’s bloody hard to see and it’s more about feel. The more I think about it, maybe trim out a piece of plastic from say a drink bottle etc, smother one side in silicone and stick it down to that livewell ledge
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

7. Member
    Or maybe use some Flex Seal tape?

8. Member
    Well it will be an easy fix, but what is irritating is why am I having to fix it at all? I mean really, you are working at a Boat factory installing a pedestal that requires a 2 inch bit and you run it down 12 inches into the live well? And apparently this is happened many many times. Hard to understand. Like I said, easy fix, everything else has been perfect. But it still bugs the crap out of me.

9. Member
    Before I drill a hole in anything, I always check whats behind it, it's just common sense. I checked my boat after I saw your post and mine was ok, so apparently they bought the worker a shorter bit and let him know what problems he was causing by drilling deep.

10. Member
    itsahog, that sucks and I agree with you, Triton should used the right size bit. That sort of thing bugs the hell out of me. But the bright side is you corrected the issue and it's out of sight.
    Brad Krone