Unique TM Interference on Sonar

Whenever I have my trolling motor in the water I get a straight line on my sonar at 17ft of depth. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this one out! It's not typical interference that you would see such as vertical lines, it's horizontal, as if there was a fish or something at 17ft. just constantly sitting underneath the transducer mounted on the transom. Here's the setup:

1. Have changed out old MG TM to newer Xi5 MG, swapped out old Lowrance LMS-22c graph and ducer on the transom with new Elite Ti2 and 3n1 ducer on the transom. None of this has helped.

2. TM runs off two batteries on the port side bilge area with leads running up port side gunnels to the bow. Sonar and everything else including big motor run off starboard battery in the bilge. Sonar has it's own independent leads going straight back to the battery for power and for ground. Starboard battery shares ground with TM batteries (for easy jump starting.)

3. The Xi5 TM turns on as soon as you lift it to dunk it in the water. I verified today that it only does it when the unit is in the water. If I tilt it far enough to turn on but don't let it in the water, there is no issue. But as soon as it hits the water the anomaly appears on my sonar. Running the propeller or not has no effect; it's still there.

4. I'm new to downscan/sidescan etc., but it appears only on my 2d sonar, not my downscan at all nor sidescan. What could this be???

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Are your TMs particularly deep in the water? The only likely thought I have is that the sonar is seeing the TM head in the water. I would try to fully deploy the motor and then either turn the breaker off or unplug it and see if the reading changes.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Just for giggles,remove the common ground and try the graph.

4. Member
    If catfan is right and it's the TM head, you must have a very wide cone angle, or the transducer is very tilted.
    Wash your hands and say your prayers, cause Jesus and germs are everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Just for giggles,remove the common ground and try the graph.
    ^^^Try this first, and also make sure your transducer is parallel to the water. You may have a bad transducer also.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

6. Member
    I'm trying everything tomorrow when on the water, but I doubt these will fix it. This has now happened over two different transducers (both transom mounted away from the TM) and the shared ground has only been in place for the last couple of months. This issue has been ongoing since 2007! Back then the two battery systems were completely separate and isolated.

Will report back later tomorrow what I find...

7. Member
    Well I'm just at a loss for words: the ducer is picking up the motor of the TM! I've been adjusting my new transducer mounted on the transom to read 2D sonar at speed so I've been raising it up a bit at a time. The higher it goes, the less the sonar pings the TM. I usually always deploy the TM as deep as it can go (55in shaft, I think.) This time I just put it in about half depth and bingo! No constant line at 18ft....which is the distance from my bow mounted TM to the ducer!

8. Member
    As long as we are doing stuff just for kicks, do you have a picture of your transom installation? Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go