Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

REAR COMPARTMENT LID SHOCK INSTALL

This was a pretty easy install, following is all the parts ordered from Ranger which were priced competitively. They forgot the mounting screws but a call and they sent them. I used the nuts in the bag from ranger but I purchased the stainless steel screws and washers from Home Depot. They sent plenty of the wood screws but I preferred the nut and screw for mounting on the compartment side.
    IMG_2418.jpgIMG_2422.jpgIMG_2419.jpg

What was a great aid was using a clamp to hold the lid into position as I figured out where to mount the side bracket. I drilled a 3/16 hole for the side bracket and mounted it with the screw and nut.
    IMG_2426.jpgIMG_2424.jpgIMG_2423.jpg

Next was mounting the lid bracket which I drilled a 1/8 inch hole only drilling in about 1/8 of an inch as it felt like the drill bit hit an open area. Then I screwed the bracket to the lid using 3 of the screws and according to Ranger that is how they mount them as they told me there is no area on the lid that had any thicker fiberglass for mounting I was a bit scared as I thought the screws would go through into the carpet but Ranger was right and there is no screws sticking through the carpet.
    IMG_2425.jpgIMG_2430.jpgIMG_2428.jpg

Following is the finished product and I must give Ranger a big Thank You for guiding me with their advise. Also a photo of what I ordered from Ranger and if you are going to do this install have a good clamp on hand as it holds it in place much better then having a helper hold it as it may move but the clamp held solid.

IMG_2427.jpgIMG_2426.jpgIMG_2431.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Nice job, and great pictures. Thanks much for taking the time to post for us!
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. Member
    John, can you pin this to the top? Very good details for a project that I think a lot of us will attempt. Thanks!

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Done.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

6. Member
    Thanks a lot. Will be doing soon!

Awesome job...I do have one question though, did you think about installing them on the hinge side of the compartment similar to the battery compartment?
    Boatless

8. Member
    No, in my opinion it looks like there is a stronger mount as where I placed them and I maybe wrong but after contemplating and moving them around I hope I chose the best spot. Also having the clamp made it easier mounting and moving around the complete shock while the lid was held stable in place to find the best mounting area.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

9. Member
    On my battery compartment and all other compartments there is an area that has a depression on the finished fiberglass where Ranger mounts the shock assembly which is not on the 2 rear compartments.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

10. Member
    I did both of mine a couple years ago and eventually the drivers side screws in the lid pulled out!

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Hagins View Post
    I did both of mine a couple years ago and eventually the drivers side screws in the lid pulled out!

John
    Stripped or backed out? I tighten every screw on the boat ever year, never had an issue with any fastener on my boat.
    Boatless

12. Member
    Please follow up with a update in the next few months. I have not had good luck adding shocks to compartment lids that do not have the pultrusion in bedded in the lid for screws. The screws have always pulled out over time. You did a very nice job on the install and the write up of the installation.

Quote Originally Posted by botrdav View Post
    This was a pretty easy install, following is all the parts ordered from Ranger which were priced competitively. They forgot the mounting screws but a call and they sent them. I used the nuts in the bag from ranger but I purchased the stainless steel screws and washers from Home Depot. They sent plenty of the wood screws but I preferred the nut and screw for mounting on the compartment side.
    IMG_2418.jpgIMG_2422.jpgIMG_2419.jpg

What was a great aid was using a clamp to hold the lid into position as I figured out where to mount the side bracket. I drilled a 3/16 hole for the side bracket and mounted it with the screw and nut.
    IMG_2426.jpgIMG_2424.jpgIMG_2423.jpg

Next was mounting the lid bracket which I drilled a 1/8 inch hole only drilling in about 1/8 of an inch as it felt like the drill bit hit an open area. Then I screwed the bracket to the lid using 3 of the screws and according to Ranger that is how they mount them as they told me there is no area on the lid that had any thicker fiberglass for mounting I was a bit scared as I thought the screws would go through into the carpet but Ranger was right and there is no screws sticking through the carpet.
    IMG_2425.jpgIMG_2430.jpgIMG_2428.jpg

Following is the finished product and I must give Ranger a big Thank You for guiding me with their advise. Also a photo of what I ordered from Ranger and if you are going to do this install have a good clamp on hand as it holds it in place much better then having a helper hold it as it may move but the clamp held solid.

IMG_2427.jpgIMG_2426.jpgIMG_2431.jpg
    2018 Z520C Ranger Cup / Mercury 250 Pro XS Ser# 2B526947

13. Member
    When I decided to do this project I spoke with 2 Ranger people and they told me that there was no extra pultrusion on the lids for mounting the brackets.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nojretlas View Post
    Stripped or backed out? I tighten every screw on the boat ever year, never had an issue with any fastener on my boat.
    Stripped out! I keep all mine tight as well.

John

15. Member
    How many lbs. are the shocks?
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

16. Member
    30#
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

What length shock did you go with?

18. Member
    I don't know if you measure extended or retracted length, I have the order sheet from Ranger that has the part number if that helps. Also I priced them elsewhere and the Ranger price was pretty close so I went with Ranger as they have all the hardware.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

19. mikesxpress
    Great job David!
    Can you break down the cost per lid?
    An update after a years use would also be beneficial based on the failure comments above.

20. Member
    The total cost of 2 shocks and 2 sets of mounting brackets and screws & nuts plus shipping from Ranger was $43.09 I also spent $3.16 at Home Depot for some additional washers and screws that Ranger neglected to send. Also I did not use an electric drill to drive in the screws as I was a bit concerned that it would possibly screw it in with too much force and cause the screw to over spin in the lid I screwed them in tight by hand and let the lock washer grab and do its thing. So far I am confident that they will hold up but time will be the judge there.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast