250 Pro XS 4 stroke fuel consumption

Serial # 2B745077

Hey guys today I took out my new Mercury 4 stroke 250 pro xs and did the engine break in. Before I launched
    I put 18 gallons of gas in the boat. According to my smart craft gauge I burned through that by 1.6 hours on the motor. I put another 15 gallons in while on the lake and burned through 6 more gallons with hours at 2.3
    my question is this normal? I understand I am driving the boat constantly for engine break in so I was just wondering if this sounds right. My fuel gauge on my boat is not working at all, so the only gauge I had was the gallons burned on the smartcraft gauge which I heard is pretty accurate.
    Thanks for the help.

2. Member
    Sounds like way to much mine didn't burn that much and yes my smartcraft is very accurate

3. Member
    Should burn 24 ish wide open.
    4-12 gph cruising.

i get 12 gph at 45-50 mph pending on weight and wind.
    with a 200 proxs v8

fuel burn is great on these at a steady cruise.
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A lot is going to depend on what boat this engine is mounted to, what prop is used, and what RPM's it's being run at. It WILL drink fuel when running in the upper RPM ranges.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    A lot is going to depend on what boat this engine is mounted to, what prop is used, and what RPM's it's being run at. It WILL drink fuel when running in the upper RPM ranges.

Thanks Don.
    it is mounted to a 2020 Ranger z520L. Prop is a Fury 23 pitch 3 blade.
    I varied my Rpms like they say to do on the initial break in. Only held it wide open a few times for under a minute.. per Mercury’s
    break in procedure. I just thought it was burning more fuel than normal.

10-15% WORSE than an Opti.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Or more specifically- you'll use 10-15% more fuel than a previous Optimax Model (in general).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by 21xTriton05 View Post
    10-15% WORSE than an Opti.
    Exactly.
    The V8 fuel economy is not very good compared to my previous 250 two stroke on the same boat.

As Don said a LOT has to do with the boat !! Also take note of how many say the first thing you have to do is drop down a pitch or two with the V8. that is going to effect the fuel consumption also.
    Not apples to apples --- I'm happy to say my 250R actually does better than my old 3.2 ltr 300XS and I can still run the same props.. I believe some of the credit is due to the totally redesigned Sports master LU along with a super efficient hull design..

It'll burn more than the Opti but less than the EFI's.