PTP effect on rpms?

Trying to get my boat to the 5800-5900 rpm range. Right now I’m trying different props and only getting to about 5600-5650 rpms. I haven’t moved jackplate up past 3” ptp yet. I have a fury 24p 3 blade and a new razor 4xl 23p. I’m wondering if you can pick up very many rpms when you move jackplate up? I’ve checked water psi and it has stayed good. Is it common for some boats to need a higher ptp to get all the rpms? I have a 2018 ranger z519 with 225 pro xs 2 stroke. Each time I test is with full load. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The fury ran 68 mph at 5650 rpms 3.5” ptp, the razor 61 mph at 3” ptp 5600 rpms.

You need to find the correct P to P for your boat and prop first, at this point don't worry about the rpm. Drop the motor to 3.5 in and make a run, adust trim to achieve the highest gps speed, it may not be full trim up. Note the rpm and speed. Now lift it 1/4 inch and repeat, at some point the rpm will increase and the speed will not increase and may decrease. That setting is to high, drop it to the last setting, Do this with the boat loaded as you normally run. Every time you try a different prop you must do this again
    Do you have talons or poles on this rig
    or have it very heavily loaded , if so you will need a different prop
    Based on your numbers and being ranger I think a 24 Tempest would serve you better, unless you are willing to spend about 300 on having the fury reworked by Mark Croxten, I would try to find a 23 Fury, base line it and have it reworked as that would get about perfect at 5950 and a much improved hole shot and possible a couple more mph
    I would expect with an average load and setup correctly under very good conditions about 70mph @ about 5800 rpm with the 24 fury and no poles
    Right now you have about 10% prop slip, that prop can be improved somewhat, should be able to get it down to 7 or 8 percent

I assume the rpm is read with smartcraft or digital tach and speed with GPS as this is a Must to be accurate on setup
    Last edited by lpugh; 05-25-2020 at 05:07 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    So when I raise jackplate, 1/4” at a time, as long as I am gaining rpms and speed while maintaining good water psi I should be ok?

Yes, you may not gain much rpm until it is to high causing excessive prop slip, for sure not 300 rpm, 100 maybe if it is to low, Find the sweet spot by the highest speed then note the RPM
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Member
    Fury’s don’t like to much height on the jack plate as they are smaller in Dia . Your ranger needs a good prop that lifts Tempest,bravo xs1 or a fury 4 . Those three will do better on your ranger .

Quote Originally Posted by skennedy View Post
    Fury’s don’t like to much height on the jack plate as they are smaller in Dia . Your ranger needs a good prop that lifts Tempest,bravo xs1 or a fury 4 . Those three will do better on your ranger .
    In out of the box condition, I fully agree, If the right guy reworks the fury it is a new ball game it will out perform the Tempest in all respects, The Bravo is very good on rangers but somewhat slower top end. The Fury reworked correctly will be close to the bravo for holeshot
    Thank You Leon Pugh