Bunk Carpet question

Hey all I would like some suggestions on carpet. Boat will be off the trailer for a couple of weeks and thought I would change the bunk carpet out on my Skeeter trailer. I've heard of Gatorbak but have never used it and obviously carpet. If carpet is the answer does it have to be special marine grade and where to buy? I know Bass Pro sells but not sure. The bunks are 2, 12', 2x4 and 2, 6', 2x4. Thanks much for the input
    Last edited by Ckayak1; 05-25-2020 at 02:16 PM. Reason: wrong name

I would go with gator backs
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    Get 20oz marine carpet. Ebay is the bet if you want black, other colors are more difficult to find. I'd get 20ft of 24". Cut in half, it'll do both your 2x6 boards, and the extra 7ft (accounting for overlap on the ends) will handle your 2x4's.

Look at the PacificTrailers website.

4. Member
    Gatorbacks unless your trailer needs lots of power loading
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

24oz carpet from Bass Cat. Pressure treated lumber from Home Depot or Lowes. Stainless. Stainless Staples and some 3M contact cement. Look at your original carpet before you start on the new bunks. You’ll get an idea how the original carpet was laid down.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

6. Member
    Thanks all! Went with carpet and ordered 20oz off eBay.

7. Member
    I'm thinking of routing a drain line down the board, drill a couple of drain holes, in the drain line, to aid in the board drying out. Similar to how runway lights are installed.
    Thoughts?

8. mikesxpress
    The carpet will stay wet regardless. Compression traps it.

I used this for new bunks this season. Not rubber backed but very durable and drains/drys fast. I've been pretty happy with it so far and didn't feel I needed gatorbacks on my old boat. I used Bass Cat carpet on my last boat and it tore about the 4th or 5th time I loaded, I don't blame the carpet so much as how it went loading that day, but was surprised it didn't hold up a bit better for as heavy as it is.

https://www.menards.com/main/floorin...imaryMeas=72.0
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    2000 Mercury Optimax 225 - 0T136160
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF
    1997 Evinrude Vindicator 200 - G04296981 (E200STLEUB)

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckayak1 View Post
    Hey all I would like some suggestions on carpet. Boat will be off the trailer for a couple of weeks and thought I would change the bunk carpet out on my Skeeter trailer. I've heard of Gatorbak but have never used it and obviously carpet. If carpet is the answer does it have to be special marine grade and where to buy? I know Bass Pro sells but not sure. The bunks are 2, 12', 2x4 and 2, 6', 2x4. Thanks much for the input
    I recently did my bunks. I got mine pre carpeted ready to install from bassboat seats.

For the money Gatorbaks are hard to beat, they have a new design out suppose to do better with power loading and be more durable.

And they help solve the blistering issue on boats.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

if u decide to drop a few xtra coins... i would replace the wood bunks with Trex boards on it and then recarpet them... nomore worries about rotting wood

13. Member
    Ordered clear gatorbacks this morning, they've already shipped! My boards are cut, I put a groove down the middle for LEDs, painted them white.
    Bunks are tapered (2*6 that narrows to 3) on the bow end, 45° cut on the transom end. Gonna be a fun install. I called gatorback earlier, they where more than helpful.

As for Trex boards, not now. I'm already over budget on this build. Not gonna push my luck on how many times I "ask for forgiveness, instead of permission" !

OP - sorry if I hijacked your thread.

14. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by kcg202champ View Post
    if u decide to drop a few xtra coins... i would replace the wood bunks with Trex boards on it and then recarpet them... nomore worries about rotting wood
    No boat trailers have enough bunk supports to give Trex any consideration. KDAT lumber and Gatorbak's. You'll never have to mess with again.

15. Member
    Wife just called me, a box from gatorback just showed up! Now that's quick !