Thread: Talon wont stow

Talon wont stow

I was on the lake the other day and had both Talons deployed at 12ft deep. One of the would not come back up, the nut was turning but nothing happening. I managed to make it back to the ramp and get the boat on the trailer and push the talon back up and lock it. Im glad I had tilt brackets or I would have been in a jam for sure. Does it sound like the cable came off the pulley, or actually broke the cable? And next question, how much of a pita is that to fix? These are the new BT Talons, bought slightly used last fall and never registered them.
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

2. Member
    Well I guess there is some good new, the cable is NOT broken. I pulled the covers off and the gears were turning but the spool was not. I played around with the spool sliding it from one side to the other and it caught on the gears inside the spool that make it turn. Is this a common issue? I ran the spike up and down about 10 times and it worked fine but seemed to be some sideways play in the spool. Im not sure if there is supposed to be a washer on the side to control the play?
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

3. Member
    Maybe to be safe, you should have a local ISC look at it to be sure nothing is worn or damaged.

4. Member
    One of two or both. keeper that holds the wrap drum in place could have fell out and the drum move over away from the pin and it is not allowing the drum to sit in the right place. If that happened then I am sure the pin fell out. The other is the torque spring on the inside the wrap drum sheared the inside of the drum not allowing the drum to turn. the wrap Drum needs to be replaced.

5. Member
    Ordered the plastic bushing this morning, they are 85 cents so I ordered 3 to have 2 as spares, They just snap over the drum shaft to keep the spool from moving side to side and not catching the pin to spin the rum itself. Easy fix.
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo