No fuel reading on small gauge and sc1000 tach.

150 4stroke ser# below.

I installed a new Fuel sender and it worked great when it was on the analog gauge and analog (conversion)helm harness.
    Analog gauges are now gone as is that harness. Replaced with a J box and SC1000 Tach and Speedo.

I installed the fuel/paddle wheel harness. RED "fuel 1" (pos) wire to the pos on the sender. The neg sender wire goes straight to the neg side of the engine starting battery. All per the instructions and double checked. The 6 pin wire harness plug is connected to the plug under the cowl. No paddle wheel installed (that plug is covered with the supplied cover.)

Went to the gas station with the fuel calibration instructions in hand. Set it for 60 gals total. Went into the default or Add fuel mode and hit Add. I added 15 gals (for the 1/4 step) hit "save". Added 15 more (for 1/2 step) hit "save". Window said something about calibration failed reading taken from "Default". I Stopped. I have since changed the setting back to "Default" so it would take it's reading via the smartcraft system. SC100 gauge reads empty (it does move a little when power is applied or I reset via either tach or speedo). The fuel bar in the speedo shows low fuel and empty. The fuel reading on the tach shows 0. I fired up the motor (yes with water) and all the sc100 gauges work INCLUDING the FUEL FLOW meter. I raised the idle slightly and the flow gauge corresponded correctly.
    With 30 gals of gas one would think it should read something...

What is my next step? Is their something in the computer that needs to be changed?
    Last edited by moymurfs; 05-25-2020 at 03:54 PM.
    MY Engine Serial Number : 2B411498

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    1. Verify that the wire connected to the Fuel Sending Unit is PINK w/BLACK STRIPE (not red). The fuel harness lead is indeed that Pink w/Black Stripe color.

2. Verify that the System TACH is connected to the TACHOMETER harness, and the System Speed is connected to the SPEEDOMETER harness. Easy to mix them up.

3. Use the DEFAULT calibration method.

4. Verify that there are absolutely NO other Smartcraft Instruments or Devices connected to the engine or network, of any type, age or design. In other words- you have a 4-gang J-box and there is one open port with a cap on it.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    1) Yes, PINK/Black strip. Verified

2) Appropriate harnesses are attached to the correct gauges. Verified

3) Default calibration mode selected. Verified

4) VV mobile removed. Caps in place. Verified

SAME RESULTS-no positive reading on the sc100 nor the Tach window.
    Fuel gauge still shows a tiny movement of getting power and reset.
    Fuel gauge is the 1st gage that is daisy chained to the Tach harness. I even disconnected it from the downline gauges so the only gauges hooked up were Tach- fuel- Speedo. Also tried just tach and speedo.

Additionally, I pulled the sending unit. Fuel had it wet up 3/4 of it's 10.5" length. Manually slid the float (still in excellent condition, like I said above it's new) up and down- no change. Manipulated the connectors-no change. Slid float while manipulating connectors-no change. Checked 6 pin connector under cowl-pins are all straight and clean.

I also zeroed out the fuel readings on the VVmobile prior to disconnecting. Not that it mattered since I took it off the j-box, but just in case. Still the same.
    Also, a master reset on the both tach and Speedo then calibration to default, did not change things.
    Last edited by moymurfs; 05-26-2020 at 09:25 AM.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check continuity from pink w/black stripe at the tank to the connector at the engine (pink w/black stripe wire). VERY important that the fuel harness be DISCONNECTED from engine when doing this!

Also verify that the pink w/black stripe wire is on the same pin position (engine side AND fuel harness side).

Verify continuity from the BLACK/GROUND at the sender to the CRANKING BATTERY NEGATIVE POST.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

Verify continuity from the BLACK/GROUND at the sender to the CRANKING BATTERY NEGATIVE POST.

Well, Don nails another one!
    What can I say, When I ran the wiring to the appropriate locations before connecting anything, I ran the ground wire to the battery...but... not connected to it. So, there it lay. Connected it and everything works great on all the gauges.
    Tku Don!

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar