New member need advice

Hello everyone, I am 52 and will be retiring this year and would like to purchase a bass boat. The problem is I don’t have any real boating experience to speak of, but I do like bass fishing and plan to do much of it when retired. I live in Palm Beach and plan to fish Lake O, Holiday park, Sawgrass recreation and local canals. I was hoping you guys can steer me in the right direction. I have a budget of around $50,000 and wondered if I should go with an aluminum for its shallow water draft or a fiberglass for its stability. I like the thought of an aluminum for its ability to get into skinny water but don’t know if it’s an adequate platform for the water I want to fish. Any help will be appreciated!

2. Member
    I recently bought a Ranger RT188 with a Yamaha 115 on the back, couldn't be happier with this boat. I live near lake worth and fish all the places you mentioned, well mostly local canals and lake Ida/ Osborne. I bought my Ranger from Toho Marine in St Cloud, awesome people to deal with. For me aluminum boats are ideal for our type of fishing as the only place you mentioned that can get rough would be lake O . I've owned G3 boats in the past and this was my first Ranger and it was worth the drive. Check out ranger boats online as you can build your boat and the call the dealer to work a better price depending on your options you should be well under your budget, I was all in around 33 for what I got.

3. Member
    Ive owned big fiberglass rigs in this order, BassCat Pantera 2, Triton TR21 and Phoenix 921. My current boat is a 20 ft aluminum. I'll never own a glass boat again. I love this thing. I can get into areas glass boats only dream of and on these heavily pressured lakes that's where the big girls are. So easy on maintenance and I don't care if I ding a stump here and there

4. Member
    You'll be fine with an aluminum rig in almost every situation down here. Windy days will be a challenge and you will have to be smart and pick your launch and fishing areas on those days, especially on Okeechobee.
    Brad Krone

5. Banned
    Aluminum is my vote. Check out the Vexus rigs. Friend of mine got one, and man is that one sweet ride. You would never know its aluminum....

I have fished Okeechobee numerous times with my Xpress , even on the open water outside the grass, no issues.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dent dave View Post
    I recently bought a Ranger RT188 with a Yamaha 115 on the back, couldn't be happier with this boat. I live near lake worth and fish all the places you mentioned, well mostly local canals and lake Ida/ Osborne. I bought my Ranger from Toho Marine in St Cloud, awesome people to deal with. For me aluminum boats are ideal for our type of fishing as the only place you mentioned that can get rough would be lake O . I've owned G3 boats in the past and this was my first Ranger and it was worth the drive. Check out ranger boats online as you can build your boat and the call the dealer to work a better price depending on your options you should be well under your budget, I was all in around 33 for what I got.
    Thanks for the advice! I actually came across Toho's Marines site when I started researching boats. I like the Ranger and Vexus tin boats but I didn't know if a tin would work on Lake O and others but from the sounds of it I believe they will.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppin' Frog View Post
    Ive owned big fiberglass rigs in this order, BassCat Pantera 2, Triton TR21 and Phoenix 921. My current boat is a 20 ft aluminum. I'll never own a glass boat again. I love this thing. I can get into areas glass boats only dream of and on these heavily pressured lakes that's where the big girls are. So easy on maintenance and I don't care if I ding a stump here and there
    Wow those were some nice boats you have owned. Thanks for sharing your experience with glass boats and moving on to aluminum it makes me feel more comfortable moving forward if I chose aluminum.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LgMouthGambler View Post
    Aluminum is my vote. Check out the Vexus rigs. Friend of mine got one, and man is that one sweet ride. You would never know its aluminum....
    The Vexus rigs look awesome! I am also liking Ranger, Xpress and Crestliner although I don't have any firsthand experience with any of them.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOATS View Post
    I have fished Okeechobee numerous times with my Xpress , even on the open water outside the grass, no issues.
    Thanks that's good to know.

11. Member
    I own a Vexus 1880 and have been on Okeechobee a few times with it, with 0 issues. The main areas I fish are the areas you mentioned, especially the glades. Prior to this boat, I owned a tin as well for over 20 yrs. Tin definitely has its advantages versus a glass a boat and vice versa. But for the areas you will be fishing, a tin boat will serve you just fine. I recommend you surf the tin forum and vexus forum here on this site. Very informative. Best of luck finding your boat.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou22 View Post
    I own a Vexus 1880 and have been on Okeechobee a few times with it, with 0 issues. The main areas I fish are the areas you mentioned, especially the glades. Prior to this boat, I owned a tin as well for over 20 yrs. Tin definitely has its advantages versus a glass a boat and vice versa. But for the areas you will be fishing, a tin boat will serve you just fine. I recommend you surf the tin forum and vexus forum here on this site. Very informative. Best of luck finding your boat.
    Great advice thanks so much! Where did you purchase your Vexus from?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpgear View Post
    Great advice thanks so much! Where did you purchase your Vexus from?
    Toho Marine

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpgear View Post
    Hello everyone, I am 52 and will be retiring this year and would like to purchase a bass boat. The problem is I don’t have any real boating experience to speak of, but I do like bass fishing and plan to do much of it when retired. I live in Palm Beach and plan to fish Lake O, Holiday park, Sawgrass recreation and local canals. I was hoping you guys can steer me in the right direction. I have a budget of around $50,000 and wondered if I should go with an aluminum for its shallow water draft or a fiberglass for its stability. I like the thought of an aluminum for its ability to get into skinny water but don’t know if it’s an adequate platform for the water I want to fish. Any help will be appreciated!

If you are looking to go shallow, a flats boat will draft less than a comparable bass boat, aluminum or glass. A flats rig would also enable you to fish saltwater as an option.

I suggest a lot of looking and as many test rides as you can. You have a solid budget with many options.