Question 06 225 VMAX HELP, LOST POWER

Guys, on the lake yesterday. Had a good run to first spot, then while motoring to the next place, it started coughing and hacking and wouldn't get over 12-1400 RPM. Let it rest for a bit and did some thinking, went for another run, and nothing. Same limit on REVs in forward. Neutral, would cough and weeze but eventually let me run around 5000 rpm, and in reverse about the same thing. In forward nothing, but the same 12-1400. Took me a long bumpy ride all the way back to the ramp.

Any help and suggestions I could check would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    Quite a few things come to mind, obviously fuel: quality, supply and pressure are biggest factors. Water separator filter good? Ball valve pressure good? Low and high pressure fuel pumps ok?? Good spark? Also, I've read about the temperature sender units causing issues as well. Start with the fuel tank and work your way through.

So how would I measure all of these things?

Also, not sure if related, but there was a power "blink" when I started the motor at one point. Turned the key, and main depth finder at console blinked then stopped working, could not turn power back off and on to restore it's operation.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by countyrookie View Post
    So how would I measure all of these things?

Also, not sure if related, but there was a power "blink" when I started the motor at one point. Turned the key, and main depth finder at console blinked then stopped working, could not turn power back off and on to restore it's operation.
    not sure about the electrical "surge", but fuel.,. Make sure you have good filters. A fuel/water separator filter usually is on the transom. You can replace that filter.. actually should be done every one or two seasons. The bulbs can start to fail.. basically, does it fill the fuel line and stay filled? The low pressure fuel pumps are usually vacuum operated... Holes can develop in the diaphragms. The VST pump and filter are also important to check. If in doubt, change em out.. 😁 Spark, is easily done with a cheap spark tester from an automotive outfit.. and/or a multi meter...

5. Member
    I just had something similar. With you making a good run in the morning it makes the problem less likely to be fuel related and more likely to be sensor related in my opinion. Check your neutral switch and shift cut switch to make sure they are operating properly. Originally my shift cut switch was stuck on and cut an additional 2 cylinders while in neutral so I was idling on 2 and running on 4. When reinstalling I tweaked the metal on the neutral switch so it was always off. When I started my motor and she seen the neutral switch was off she put herself into limp mode. I bent the metal tab further out to make sure it contacted the slide and all is well now.