250 Merc 4 stroke/21 TRX set up

Tried the Triton board but no luck there so far so:

My tournament partner recently purchased a new Patriot 21 TRX with the new Merc 250 Pro XS four stroke turning a Fury 25P wheel. His previous boat was a Triton (SHO) as well which he loved but he is very disappointed in this new boats performance (along with a couple design issues as well). New boat came with a manual jack plate on it. Hole shot was terrible and chine walked severely as soon as he got to 64 mph. And no, he did not test drive it before buying it. Anyway, swapped out for an Atlas hydraulic thinking he could adjust for both issues. Not so much. Did find a spot (9) that improved the hole shot somewhat but we fished a tourny this past weekend and once we had the live well full it was a long time getting on pad. And there is no place where the chine walk doesn’t show up at the same place........about 5500 rpms and 64-65 mph. Any information/advice I can pass on to him would be greatly appreciated. I speculated that he may need to consider a Bravo 4 blade but don’t know enough about the Mercs and Tritons to know for certain. Thanks.

2014 Ranger Z520C, Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Mike- I'd suggest having him sign up here, and provide the Engine Serial Number. There are several items that will be suggested, including:

-Having a dealer check with the G3-2019 Computer Diagnostic System to confirm that DEMAND LINEAR is reaching 100% consistently, every time the hotfoot is depressed fully.

-Prop Selection (above item does have some bearing on this- but 25P is simply too high for this engine setup). Commonly use 23P in this setup as a good starting point.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks guys for the help! Ser# 2B641736

the 3 blade is going to be a little wilder at higher speeds, but faster...gotta learn to drive through it and it will smooth out...

have you adjusted the PVS settings in the prop to help the hole shot?
    i run a 26 fury 3 and have NO holes plugged...all wide open... hole shot is OK...
    my bravo 29 xs, holeshot is 2x better...but 1-1.5mph slower...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    And just to clarify- Low Slung's prop pitches will be significantly different than Mike A's.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    And just to clarify- Low Slung's prop pitches will be significantly different than Mike A's.
    yes, i'd aggree...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

7. Member
    No argument outta me on that!!
    2014 Ranger Z520C, Yamaha 250 SHO

8. Member
    I can't believe that's the best prop for a TR21, I'm turning a 23p Fury on my Z21 at about 6k@71mph. Zero chine walk and it has good hole shot.
    2020 Nitro Z21 Pro | Mercury 250 Pro XS |Ultrex 36v 112 MDI | Solix G2 chirp/mega SI 10 and 12 |Garmin 93sv UHD w/LiveScope| 8' PowerPole Blades