Thread: wet sanding

wet sanding

i have seen alot of videos of guys wet sanding and compounding in sections. is it better to do sections or could you wet sand the whole boat and then compound, polish, and wax? just seems to make more sense than to keep repeating all those steps per section. thanks.

I do many thousands feet of sanding and buffing a year.... I never sand the entire boat. Not saying you can’t...some sections may require different sanding and/or buffing so it would be very hard for me to do it that way. That’s why on here I see info given that says start with 1000 and then go to 1500 and then 2000 or whatever and without seeing the boat or at least pics there’s no way to give that info without at least a pic. Brand, age, color, condition, etc makes a difference in how you approach the job. What worked on one boat may be close but not work on another. In some cases I may could sand an entire boat after some testing however you only have so much gelcoat. That’s why I had rather do small sections to ensure I have a perfect finish and take the least amount of gelcoat off for the customer that I can.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Moderator
    Awesome advice there.

Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    I do many thousands feet of sanding and buffing a year.... I never sand the entire boat. Not saying you can’t...some sections may require different sanding and/or buffing so it would be very hard for me to do it that way. That’s why on here I see info given that says start with 1000 and then go to 1500 and then 2000 or whatever and without seeing the boat or at least pics there’s no way to give that info without at least a pic. Brand, age, color, condition, etc makes a difference in how you approach the job. What worked on one boat may be close but not work on another. In some cases I may could sand an entire boat after some testing however you only have so much gelcoat. That’s why I had rather do small sections to ensure I have a perfect finish and take the least amount of gelcoat off for the customer that I can.
    Listen to the MAN!!!
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE
    Tournament Director / Warriors on the Water

5. Member
    Ok the man has spoken lol

If you think you need some help. Shoot me some pics and I’ll try to help. 919-631-2019
    www.ncboatguy.com

7. Member
    Crank, all things being equal besides color, does light or dark oxidize worse?

8. Member
    Thanks crank will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadracer10 View Post
    Crank, all things being equal besides color, does light or dark oxidize worse?
    Sorry I’m a little slow....I don’t understand..?
    www.ncboatguy.com

10. Member
    Hey crank. How do you determine if just a compound, polish, and wax would work instead of a wet sand first?

11. Member
    If two boats were subjected to the same neglect and sun exposure, one a light color and one dark. Does a light color or dark color oxidize worse or is there even a difference.

12. Member
    You mentioned color in you initial response to the OPs question. I was just curious how/why color makes a difference in your approach. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roadracer10 View Post
    If two boats were subjected to the same neglect and sun exposure, one a light color and one dark. Does a light color or dark color oxidize worse or is there even a difference.
    Most times the darker color will be a little worse and is a little harder to work with. A silver flake over a grey base is way easier to work with than a black base with whatever color flake.
    www.ncboatguy.com

Quote Originally Posted by 04_triton View Post
    Hey crank. How do you determine if just a compound, polish, and wax would work instead of a wet sand first?
    I’m “most” cases any visible oxidation will need “some” sanding to get rid of. Not saying you can’t buff but I can’t have a customer coming back in a few months because the oxidation is back. Some may say this is not the correct way to approach it because of sanding away gel instead if buffing but in the long run by not getting it off on the first go...you’ll just have to go back and rework everything which is just wearing out your gel anyway.
    www.ncboatguy.com

15. Member
    A lot of these guys have way more experience then myself matter of fact this is the first time I have ever done this. The boat I bought was oxidized pretty bad . I did mine in like 3-6’ sections at a time first wet sanded w1000 grit then 2000 grit then compounded then wax and buffed very happy with the out come but was quite the job . If I would have done anything different I would have done it outside were I could use a garden hose between intervals. I did it inside my warehouse so I cleaned each time with acetone leaves great surface but very time consuming and went threw a ton of rags. CD45AF16-1061-416C-A92D-F1D0CAC942E1.jpeg

16. Member
    Tip man that looks good. Gonna be my first time too, good thing it's my buddies boat lol. Thats about how his is but his is blue, gonna give it a shot.

17. Member
    Thank you well worth the hard work but believe me I’m going to try from having to do it again lol.

Looks nice. If possible, do your sanding and buffing inside under lights. It’ll always look better outside so if it looks good inside it’ll look great outside.
    www.ncboatguy.com