Question Leveling battery location in bilge.

So I am replacing my battery trays on my Charger 496. I notice the bilge area the batteries sit in is not completely flat. There is some high and low spots that cause the battery trays not to sit exactly flat. As a result, the batteries rock in the trays because of the high spots. It’s not real bad but enough to notice. Both areas are just enough area to fit 3 batteries. Just to give you an idea of size. So while I have these out, I’d like to flatten these areas out so the trays and batteries sit nice and flat. I was thinking of sanding but that seems like a lot of work and doesn’t really address it not being level all the way back either. Is there a self leveling epoxy or something I can pour or spread into those two area to level and flatten those areas out. I wouldn’t need much more than a 1/4” at the worst spots...if that. I’d want it to adhere well, be durable and last, and be water proof in the end. I also posted this in general bassboat topics as I wasn’t sure the best place. Thanks.
    Last edited by abianca99; 05-25-2020 at 12:42 AM.

2. Member
    Ttt. Looking for some ideas. I want to do this right the first time. Thanks

3. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    foam weatherstripping around inner perimeter of tray

4. Member
    Could a better tray do the job for you. Look at what Bass Cat Boats have and see if it might fit., they are about the best trays out there.

5. Member
    You could pot it with silicone. Or you could mix up thickened epoxy/resin. Or maybe some expanding foam?
    90 Shadow 20' Mod V w/ 200 Merc - Total resto and loving it!
    Here's my build from cap-off to boat in the water.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=336645

6. Member
    The thickened epoxy resin is the route I want to take. Just put a skim in the bottom to flatten it out. Don’t know what products are best for that. Never mixed any before. So it’ll be something new for me.

7. Banned
    You can thicken the resin with Fumed Silica. You can make a paste any consistency you want with it.
    Or you could probably use this stuff.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...ss+jelly&pos=0

8. Member
    On the silica, wear a good dust mask. Not good for your lungs to breath. But great for thickening resin. Or use wood flour.
    90 Shadow 20' Mod V w/ 200 Merc - Total resto and loving it!
    Here's my build from cap-off to boat in the water.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=336645