Hello all, having issue with motor coming off plane and fouling plugs(2003 250 efi)

so i was out motor running great no issues at all, did some putting around get to first spot fish a little go to re start pligs fouled up, swapped them and runs great.. go about 15 miles to next fishing spot all around cruising 4k rpm.. fish a few hours, start going home motor slpwly losing rpms, then controls completely wot motor sitting 2k rpm max, return to neutral and will instantly plane out again.. idk if the plugs fouling were directly related or not. I noticed the primer bulb felt completely empty when motor would nearly die.. i feel its a deliery issie.. could maybe a clogged filter cause this? Serial#1250423ac
    Last edited by Stz11792; 05-24-2020 at 09:06 PM.

2. Member
    So does the bulb stay firm (engine not running), after you prime it up? Does it stay firm at idle? Squeeze it up tight and look for even a small leak. Just a pinhole will cause a fuel and air leak. And yes of course a clogged filter will cause starvation. Could also be an anti syphon valve at the tank.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Serial number will be a Digit, Letter, Six Digits (example: 0T123456).

Make sure you are pumping the bulb firm before every engine start.

See the post in the FAQ Section and perform items as recommended:

FUEL LINES AND PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Figured i would post the fix incase anyone had similar issue, fuel line got soft and was collapsing when running wot and would open right ack up when in neutral

If fuel line is collapsing, you either have the wrong type of hose on there, and more than likely you have restriction between the collapsed area and the bottem of the fuel tank
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Or... Deteriorated lines (see the following thread from the FAQ Section):

FUEL LINES AND PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor