Bilge Pump Removal

Hello.

I have a 2000 Champion 181. I'm the third owner
    While replacing the livewell drain valve, I noticed the livewell pump is loose.

I would like to pull livewell pump and reseal it, but the bilge pump is in the way. I do not see any screws securing it. How are the bilge pumps normally attached? How should it be removed?
    I was able to remove top portion that looks like a plastic wing nut, but the yellow case is still in the way.

I've attached a picture. I do have some cleanup to do.

Thank you

IMG_20200524_131830.jpg

2. Member
    On the inside of the live well pull the screen the tighten the plastic nut.

3. Member
    Thank you Tin Star Cajun.

It's actually the the Thru-Hull livewell Fill pump that I need to remove and reseal.
    My problem is the bilge pump is mounted right in front of the Fill Pump. They are actually touching. This is preventing me from moving the Fill pump forward to get it out.

So what I would like to do is move the Bilge Pump to provide clearance to a replacement fill pump.

On the base of the bilge pump I see four holes that could be used to screw the bilge pump down, but do not see any screws there.

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    If there aren't any screws in the mounting tabs, it may just be there depending on the hose to hold it in place or possibly a drop of RTV under it. I'd go ahead and remove the pump motor and see if there may be a screw on the inside.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    If there aren't any screws in the mounting tabs, it may just be there depending on the hose to hold it in place or possibly a drop of RTV under it. I'd go ahead and remove the pump motor and see if there may be a screw on the inside.
    this. The mounting bracket on mine was siliconed or epoxied down in one small spot.

6. Member
    Thank you Tx Champ and BassinB. I'll take another look at it.

7. Member
    I was able to get most of the bilge pump out. Some sort of adhesive was used to hold it down. I don't know what it is. There's no flex to it and it's is very hard. Thumb nail will not dent it.
    IMG_20200525_170720.jpg

8. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    JB Weld maybe?

Ha! ... just noticed you're in San Angelo.

Looks like JB Weld, Marinetex or 3M 5200. The 5200 can be a real bear to get off. I've put my current one down with a few drops of Marinetex as I didn't want to put screws in the bilge area of my 196.