Powerhead gasket removal

Merc 225EFI 0G789393 In the process of swivel pin replacement, I'm finishing the ridiculous job or removing the original powerhead gasket. Using 3 different gasket remover solvents, and ONLY plastic chisels and razor blades, I've pretty much come to the end of the road. What I thought would end up looking like a smooth polished surface, looks like pics. Is there a step I am missing as far as finishing the surface? thumbnail_Image.jpgthumbnail_Image 2.jpg
    Last edited by jerzia; 05-24-2020 at 08:26 PM.

2. Member
    did you try oven cleaner?
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

3. Member
    No I haven't. I used Permatex as well as CRC gasket remover as well as something Don Weed recommended, Power Tune.
    Last edited by jerzia; 05-25-2020 at 04:27 PM.

4. Member
    they bad aint they , why we get the big money yea right
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    NEVER use a rotary tool on the powerhead surface. Even well seasoned techs have been known to damage these surfaces as just the slightest wrong twitch of the wrist can result in more than the allowable .005" surface distortion.

To finish off the cleaning, get one of those finer-grit 3M scuff pads (I like the burgandy style) and use it WET to help remove any remaining material (BY HAND, AGAIN NOT WITH ANY ROTARY TOOL).

The adapter plate surfaces are he only ones that should be primed and painted to a "perfect" paint finish. Powerhead surface remains bare (and perfectly clean).

Follow service literature torque information for YOUR engine model as the nuts do NOT all torque the same.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    That is what I needed to know!!!! Adapter plate all done and painted. I was aware about the torque difference, but thanks for the heads up. Put in my part order last week, so once it gets here I want to be ready to go. Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor