Thread: 88 gt 150?

BBC SPONSOR

88 gt 150?

Unfortunately my aunt of 78 has been battling lung cancer. She loved to fish and my cousin would take her out on an 88 ranger bass boat with a gt 150. The motor has ran great for them for several years, but as her condition is getting worse she is no longer able to go fishing anymore. My cousin approached me today and wants me to go through the boat and check everything out and try to sell it. It's been in storage for 1.5 years. It was fogged, winterized, and fuel stabilized. Looking for some suggestions what to look for on this motor.

First thing I am going to do is drain all the fuel and start from there. It also still uses the VRO oiling system. Any other suggestion to what to look for is much appreciated. Again I'm not as familiar with Evinrudes or Johnson, but recieved excellent advice with on cousins G1 etec and resolved his issues. So I thought I would go to the well again. Thank you in advance for any help.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Drain/fill the lower unit fluid, I am an advocate of the VRO system but in this case I would premix at 50:1 ratio when you do you fresh gas fill. Remove the hose from the oil side and plug it and cap off the oil inlet on the pump. Unhook the wire harness from the pump so you won't get any alarms. Also disconnect the 2 wire harness for the oil tank. A new water pump kit wouldn't hurt either. Good luck have any questions feel free to ask.

3. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Drain/fill the lower unit fluid, I am an advocate of the VRO system but in this case I would premix at 50:1 ratio when you do you fresh gas fill. Remove the hose from the oil side and plug it and cap off the oil inlet on the pump. Unhook the wire harness from the pump so you won't get any alarms. Also disconnect the 2 wire harness for the oil tank. A new water pump kit wouldn't hurt either. Good luck have any questions feel free to ask.
    I was also leaning that way as well on the VRO system Thank u for the help. I will be getting the boat in the next week or 2 and start working on it. I definitely will post if I have anymore question.