Thread: Low voltage?

Low voltage?

I was out fishing today and my units shut down because of low voltage. Problem is my battery had 11.7 volts per a volt meter. Came home checked again with the meter turned on the units and they were fine. My question is could heat make them show low voltage. Mind you I'm in Wisconsin it was only 76 degrees.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    11.7V at the battery is deader than a doornail.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    11.7V at the battery is deader than a doornail.
    It fired my merc and power poles worked fine at the landing?

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Will1029 View Post
    It fired my merc and power poles worked fine at the landing?
    Still, 11.7V is a dead battery. Less than 30% charged. You never want to see one get that low on the water.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

They can show/have low voltage due to small wire size. I have #8 wire running 20' to the front of my boat and smaller (maybe #12 or #14) the console. The console shows about .5 volts or more less than the front units.

6. Member
    The units were showing 8.8 volts that is why I put the meter on my battery. The best I've ever seen at the units is 12 when my battery shows 14. The weird thing is I wired my own live scope and used large wire.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Still, 11.7V is a dead battery. Less than 30% charged. You never want to see one get that low on the water.
    I don't want you to think I was arguing I am not at all knowledgeable about this stuff. I just want it to work properly and fish

8. Member
    My heat concern comes from the fact that my gms 10 and gls 10 are in the same rod locker.

9. Member
    Both of these units are rated for +5 to +158 F so you should be well within these temps. I have both mine in the Starboard rod locker along with my stereo amp and never had a problem
    Risen From The Ashes!!

10. Member
    It could also be a wiring problem to the units. If there is a bad connection, partially blown fuse, or something similar you may be dropping voltage between the battery and the unit.

As said 11.7 AT THE BATTERY is a very dead battery. 11.7 ON THE UNIT could mean bad/insufficient wiring.

These big screens and especially Livescope draw a lot of power. Two to three head units and LS draw 3-5 amps. I had similar problems and now run an Ionic 30AH Lithium just for electeronics. It is mounted up front with very short wiring. Shows 13V all day.

17MAR20_1150_01.jpg

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Will1029 View Post
    The units were showing 8.8 volts that is why I put the meter on my battery. The best I've ever seen at the units is 12 when my battery shows 14. The weird thing is I wired my own live scope and used large wire.
    You may very well have a dead battery depending on how long it had been since the last charge. I’d charge it, check water levels, and see what happens. However, if you truly had that large of a voltage drop at the units you probably have a high resistance connection somewhere. Understanding your graph setup could help us narrow it down. Could be as simple as a rocker switch failing or a loose wire.