Electric Smoker Popping the Circuit

Lit up the electric smoker to smoke some yard bird, the GFCI outlet pops within a few seconds after it starts heating up.

Worked fine last week. Is it time to replace the heating element? What else could it be?

2. Member
    Ive found that the gfci outlets like to go bad. My house is 8 years old and have had to replace 2 so far. When I removed the old one they had put the cheapest ones in they could. I would check that out first find a electrical item that has the same draw as your smoker does plug it in see if it trips it if it does you more then likely need to change the gfci.

3. Member
    It’s not the GFCI’s. I tried plugging my smoker into two different outlets on different circuits and got the same result.

Sounds like your heating element has gone bad or shorted out. Bad timing for sure.

Time for a pellet grill. 😉

Is it a MES? I thought I had an element go bad several years ago. Turned out it was the connection that was toasted. Had one in my garage and it has been going strong ever since.

I had to drill out all the rivets on the back to get to it. Haven’t looked closely but I think the newer ones have an access panel?

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceAngler View Post
    Sounds like your heating element has gone bad or shorted out. Bad timing for sure.
    This is my thought too...i use a element style lighter for my BGE...when it gets close to going bad the gfci trips. Toss the element and buy new one. All works fine after. Even at my second home.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Ball View Post
    It’s not the GFCI’s. I tried plugging my smoker into two different outlets on different circuits and got the same result.
    ok sounds like heating element thats why i always say check out the gfci first