Alligator clips on a charger

I took out my charger from my boat and installed large alligator clips on the ends of the wires. After the last few fishing trips, I noticed that the batteries weren't fully charged in the morning. They are brand new lead acid batteries.

I have been fishing local electric-only motor Lakes, so the batteries were well used. I just don't remember ever taking more than overnight to charge them.

Do you think it's the alligator clips or just that the batteries were very worn down?

2. Member
    What was the indication of your charger? Question, why did you remove the charger and install alligator clips? Are the clips large like on a jumper cable or tiny little clips? Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    What was the indication of your charger? Question, why did you remove the charger and install alligator clips? Are the clips large like on a jumper cable or tiny little clips? Bob
    I removed the charger because I went from 3 27s to 3 31s and the charger no longer fit.

The alligator clips are not as large as the ones on my jumper cables, but they're the same size as the ones on my automotive battery charger.

4. Member
    If the connections are good the charger should charge fine. I assume you have indications on the charger that tells you when the battery is charged. The larger batteries will take longer to charge. With the bigger battery info, I think you need to charge them longer and are good to go! If they take too long you may need a higher amp charger. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    If the connections are good the charger should charge fine. I assume you have indications on the charger that tells you when the battery is charged. The larger batteries will take longer to charge. With the bigger battery info, I think you need to charge them longer and are good to go! If they take too long you may need a higher amp charger. Bob
    yeah, maybe the 31s just take longer to charge and I'm not use to it.

There are indicator lights on the Dual pro charger that I been watching.