Best Garmin Unit for Louisiana Marsh

Just bought a bay boat to fish the Louisiana marshes. Looking for a GPS/Chartplotter to put on it, at least a 9”. Don’t want to spend more than $1200, but open to buying a used unit. Which Garmin model does everyone suggest to go with?

note: Had a Garmin 70dv on my old boat, which i loved. Hated Lowrance.

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    When you say "best" are you talking about mapping or just a good unit that works??

I'd say the UHD 93+ or UHD 94+. The 93 has inland maps while the 94 has coastal mapping. Just not sure if the marsh is mapped or not.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    Good push.

I fishing mostly the Louisiana marsh, which is normally between 2-4 feet of water. Every now and then I’ll get into water a little deeper in the 6-12 foot range when closer to inshore rigs. I will mainly be using this unit for mapping and routing to/from waypoints. But, my big question is should I spend more money and get the UHD unit and GT54 transducer for clearer side scanning to target bait and fish? Or should I just go with the cheaper 94sv Plus unit because of the very shallow areas I fish. Will the side scanning even work in this shallow water?

4. Member
    I fish mainly shallow water here in Fl and use the 93SV. It does very well on ClearVü and SideVü . One gripe I have is I upgraded to the LakeVü g3 Ultra East map to get the FishEye 3D and found out it doesn't do well in 5 ft or less depth water. Other than that it worked out well for shallow water bass fishing. I have actually found out that if you mount the transducer on the trolling motor you can "sweep" around to see the terrain. If you rotate the trolling motor on SideVu SLOWLY and let it rest in intervals, you can scan curves and coves.
    Last edited by Crappie Bob; 05-26-2020 at 06:08 PM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Bob View Post
    I fish mainly shallow water here in Fl and use the 93SV. It does very well on ClearVü and SideVü . One gripe I have is I upgraded to the LakeVü g3 Ultra East map to get the FishEye 3D and found out it doesn't do well in 5 ft or less depth water. Other than that it worked out well for shallow water bass fishing. I have actually found out that if you mount the transducer on the trolling motor you can "sweep" around to see the terrain. If you rotate the trolling motor on SideVu SLOWLY and let it rest in intervals, you can scan curves and coves.
    Thanks for this. So, is the G3 vision card worth buying? I do like the option to do auto guidance. I think I read something about satellite imagery as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckWitAPaycheck View Post
    Thanks for this. So, is the G3 vision card worth buying? I do like the option to do auto guidance. I think I read something about satellite imagery as well.
    With the coastal BlueChart mapping, you will need a Vision card to get 1-foot contours. This Vision card has coverage from Mobile, AL through Calcasieu Lake, LA.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/8782#coverage
    Garmin Pro Team

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedneckWitAPaycheck View Post
    It ads a lot more to the maps that are there shading and such, couple different 3D views. But what I was saying was the ONLY thing that got me was the FISH EYE 3D doesn't do well in 5 ft or less of water. And I do a LOT of fishing in less than that, otherwise good upgrade. The FISH EYE 3D was the main reason I upgraded.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Bob View Post
    It ads a lot more to the maps that are there shading and such, couple different 3D views. But what I was saying was the ONLY thing that got me was the FISH EYE 3D doesn't do well in 5 ft or less of water. And I do a LOT of fishing in less than that, otherwise good upgrade. The FISH EYE 3D was the main reason I upgraded.
    This is the info was looking for. I fish 80% of the time in less than 5ft water. Does livescope work in less than 5 feet of water?

9. Member
    I don't have LiveScope, you would have to ask Todd Driscoll or someone that has it to see if it does.

10. Member
    Well I got a great deal on a 94sv from a guy locally. Picked it up today and will give it a try soon.

Thanks all!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    When you say "best" are you talking about mapping or just a good unit that works??

I'd say the UHD 93+ or UHD 94+. The 93 has inland maps while the 94 has coastal mapping. Just not sure if the marsh is mapped or not.
    So is the only difference between the 93 versions and the 94 versions regardless of generation the mapping?

12. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Yes.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS