single tail grubs?

How do you guys fish curly tail grubs? Ballhead or football heads etc.? Thanks

Whatever head you want.

I pour my own round head weedless and have for many years.

On a fishhead as a soft swimbait. They also work good as trailers on skirted spinnerbaits and swimjigs.
    Last edited by Skeeterbait; 05-25-2020 at 09:02 AM.

4. Member
    I have used a smoke grub on a ball head for over 50 years, great smallmouth bait.

5. Member
    Ball head, swim jig trailer, spinnerbait trailer, even works on a bladed jig at times. Long forgotten plastic that’s still very effective.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

I throw them a lot as a swimjig trailer. I used to throw them on ballheads in colder water for smallmouth but haven't done it for several years for whatever reason. I'm sure they still work!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

7. Moderator
    Ballhead jig always works for me.

8. Member
    Thanks guys. Now the next question what would be the best size all around so I can buy a mold that would be pretty universal? Has anybody used the do-it o g grub mold?

9. Banned
    Run a Kalins™ 5" with the tail 'up' and use a worm hook w/a bobber stop and a bead or 2... Affix the bobber stop so the bead(s) can 'click' on the smallish weight...

Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Thanks guys. Now the next question what would be the best size all around so I can buy a mold that would be pretty universal? Has anybody used the do-it o g grub mold?
    There is no "best size" jig head. I usually try to go with 1/4 if the water is 12 feet or less. Deeper water requires more weight. Obviously, the grub size comes into play as well. Kalins or the old "Fat Albert" 4" grubs work well on 1/4 heads.

The mold you referenced is a grub mold ... not a head mold. I would strongly suggest that unless you are wanting some custom color you just buy the grubs off the table. WAY cheaper than making them yourself. They can usually be bought at tackle stores by the dozens or hundreds. We fish a LOT of grubs, and I still buy them instead of making them myself. Heads are another matter though. I'll save a bit of money making my own weedless heads and I can get a larger hook in them than most factory offerings.

A 5" Kalin grub was my #1 pitching bait, baitcaster, 20 lb copolymer, 1/4" bullet slip sinker pegged about 1/4" > 1/2" above a glass bead and suitably sized EWG type hook. I pretty much quit fishing for Largemouth, so not much pitching anymore.

Also swimming a 5" Kalin grub on a 1/8 oz ballhead jig on 8 lb copolymer, spinning gear, as a swimbait.

And 5" Yamamoto grubs on Owner "Bullet" jigheads, which are promoted as Shakyhead jigs now. The 5" Kalin also works, if you cut 1/2" off the nose to put the hook into the waist between the body and tail.

Out here, we use (or used) what was a light Carolina Rig on 6 or 8 lb copolymer line, spinning gear. Often called "spiltshotting" (it isn't), or "Brass & Glass". My first attempts were using a 3" Kalin grub, and it worked well, tho it also tended to twist a lot, making the swivel work OT. Worked, tho. I looked for other baits that didn't tend to roll so much, such as the 4" Zoom lizard, 4" straight tail worms, and Venom Super Doos. Works good in clear water, meaning you can see a beer can on the bottom in 12' or maybe more.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    A 5" Kalin grub was my #1 pitching bait, baitcaster, 20 lb copolymer, 1/4" bullet slip sinker pegged about 1/4" > 1/2" above a glass bead and suitably sized EWG type hook. I pretty much quit fishing for Largemouth, so not much pitching anymore.

Also swimming a 5" Kalin grub on a 1/8 oz ballhead jig on 8 lb copolymer, spinning gear, as a swimbait.
    "Sattva" minds attach to the same energy of the 'akasha' (what was; what is; what will be...)

13. Member
    My go to used to be a Kalin 5" grub t-rigged with a 1/8 oz slip sinker and a Grigsby HP hook. Used to use spinning tackle and swim it thru and over grass in early spring thru spawn for tidal largemouth here on the Potomac. Also flipped grass with heavier weight and ewg. Also 1/8 - 1/4 oz ball head in cold months. I know I still have a bunch somewhere. Might have to add it back to the arsenal.

14. Member
    [QUOTE=Hair Jig;11133408]There is no "best size" jig head. I usually try to go with 1/4 if the water is 12 feet or less. Deeper water requires more weight. Obviously, the grub size comes into play as well. Kalins or the old "Fat Albert" 4" grubs work well on 1/4 heads.

The mold you referenced is a grub mold ... not a head mold. I would strongly suggest that unless you are wanting some custom color you just buy the grubs off the table. WAY cheaper than making them yourself. They can usually be bought at tackle stores by the dozens or hundreds. We fish a LOT of grubs, and I still buy them instead of making them myself. Heads are another matter though. I'll save a bit of money making my own weedless heads and I can get a larger hook in them than most factory offerings Hair Jig thanks. Yes i was wondering about the o g grub for a good all around grub to use for bass, especially smallmouth. Thanks

15. Member
    Thanks guys.

16. Member
    I used to flip a 6" black mister twister ---dont know why i still dont ? Caught a bunch fish on that bait !
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    I have used a smoke grub on a ball head for over 50 years, great smallmouth bait.

18. Member
    1/4 oz ball head or darter head is pretty good all around for swimming a grub. I do use a football head when there's gobys but then I'm dragging it.