Group 27 versus group 31 battery

Does anybody know if a group 31 battery will fit in a 2019 18TRX? From what I can find online they are about 1 inch longer than a group 27. Approximately 12 inches versus 13 inches. I’m not near my boat or I would just go measure.

2. Banned
    Not sure on the 189/18 TrX's, but my 18XS came with trays that fit G27 batteries. If that's the case for you then you have two options. Replace the tray or trim it.

As Riccochet said you will have to either trim or replace the tray in the 18TRX for a group 31 battery!
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

4. Member
    Put a 31 in my 2017 with a new tray.

5. Member
    Thanks for the replies, where can I go pick up a new tray, does it have to be from a triton dealership or can I get out auto parts store? I’m guessing they’re just generic?

6. Member
    Anyone have difficulty getting new tray screws screwed into the Fiberglas since the new tray holes didn’t line up? Was tough enough I ended up cutting the end out of my old tray and used it.

When i looked in the battery compartment on mine it didnt look like there was much room for a bigger battery than a 27 series. I didnt measure tho maybe have to rotated them facing the other direction. The 27 series are basically against the transom brace and against the wall on the side of it.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

8. Member
    I removed my batteries and battery trays. The trays were from T&H Marine and for group 27. I ordered group 31 trays from T&H marine, they should be here tomorrow. I think I could have trimmed my group 27 trays but I did not want to worry about the batteries being able to slide. I guess I’m not certain but I think the only issue for fitment is the length, which should not be any problem for fitment. The width of the batteries were the only concern, and they are the same for group 27 versus group 31. Hopefully there will be no problem once I get the right tray as far as fitting the batteries in. Width was a bigger problem than length, and there’s definitely room for another inch as far as length is concerned. It may be a while before I get time to put the new batteries in because work has me scheduled out for a while. I’ll definitely report once I know.

9. Member
    Had the cut the corner of the tray off but the battery fists.

2001 L

Hopefully they fit. Let us know if they do. Mine came with 27 series and i usually run 29/31 size for the troller. Dealer put deka batteries in so hopefully dont have to worry about for awhile so far they have been plenty.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmc949 View Post
    Had the cut the corner of the tray off but the battery fists.

2001 L
    This is my thought, I’m pretty sure I could’ve cut the tray ends and made them fit. I will get the longer trays, there should be plenty of room for the length. Width would’ve been a problem, but the battery trays are the same width. I don’t see there being any problem.

Maybe mine are installed differently. If youre standing behind the boat are the batteries going left to right or front to back?
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    Maybe mine are installed differently. If youre standing behind the boat are the batteries going left to right or front to back?
    All of my batteries are left to right orientation.

I installed two G27 AGM's for the trolling batteries. Haven't ran out of juice yet.

14. Member
    Left to right. The one closest to the bow has the tray slightly hanging off the edge about .5". The other tray had to be cut to fit between the support that attaches to the transom. The 31s are tight but fit. I have a 2001 TR186.

Also swaped the oil tank and starter battery location to install a larger tray that could hold a 31.

15. Member
    My batteries go left to right. The width of them was no problem as both trays were screwed down next to each other, there appeared to be plenty of room length wise (to the center of the boat side) so I don’t think it will be a problem, they aresame width as the old trays, and 1 inch longer. They should sit right in there I think. Before I go buy the batteries I’m going to stop by my boat storage and set these trays in just to make sure they fit, they arrived about 30 minutes ago. Talk about fast shipping!

16. Member
    The batteries are in, I only had to trim one small piece of the tray. Not too bad really I’ll try to post some picture.

.EDC66635-3603-4F05-9D90-3F6FB282765C.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good! Thats nice to know they fit. I looked closer at mine and theres more room than i thought. Its gonna be a few years hopefully but ill step up in size when the time comes.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

18. Member
    always use drill bit smaller than the screw will help putting the screws in
    Last edited by biglakespecks; 06-05-2020 at 10:23 AM. Reason: clearafication