Minn Kota ultrex power steering issue...

I found a video that explains my problem very well. Everything was running fine then after a trip down the river on a mildly rough run, it had no steering...it will steer but very stiff..it has power..spot lock will engage but it won't turn...the remote will recognize that the motor is deployed...will engage the motor, but will not change directions....won't even make a sound...almost like the steering motor isnt getting power....anybody else had this issue..

MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

2. Member
    You have a bad sensor module. Bring to an ASC and they should be able to replace. This is a warranty item and I do not recommend replacing on you own. Can cause you to have other issues if you don't know what to do.

Taking to shop Tuesday to replace the sensor if that's what it is...just seemed weird how it quit...ran down river...was fine before then it wasn't after the run...ran in rougher water before but I did think about it as I was making the run...motor is still under warranty according to the production date so I'm good there..

Jonathan Hillstrand

4. Member
    Sorry( trying to ask bradrodfish)
    Last edited by Triton20proXS; 05-27-2020 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Typo

5. Member
    What sort of issues?

Jonathan Hillstrand

They replaced sensor board and the main board today and nothing.. Didn't change a thing.. something simple stupid... Has to be...broken wire like in the video..fuse... One if those things that when gonna make him think he's a fool..
    Last edited by mrlawler1; 05-29-2020 at 02:55 PM.

Jonathan Hillstrand

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton20proXS View Post
    What sort of issues?
    When you replacing the Sensor board you have to dismantle the foot pedal completely. this means you have to
    remove the pivot pin, take the speed knob apart and the remove the reed switch. Disconnect the sensor board harness from the main board. If you have never done it it can be time consuming.
    It is best to bring to an ASC and let them do it. They have the experience to do it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    They replaced sensor board and the main board today and nothing.. Didn't change a thing.. something simple stupid... Has to be...broken wire like in the video..fuse... One if those things that when gonna make him think he's a fool..
    If the steering module isn't working, the ASC needs go check the voltage out at the control. Also needs to use a sacrificial plug and apply voltage straight to the steering module to make sure it will turn. While doing this, the steering module needs to be checked for amp draw. If it draws too much, it will take out the steering logic in the main control board. There is a lot that goes on in the foot pedal, wiring harness, and steering module.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Thanks John...forwarded that...

Jonathan Hillstrand

The video that I posted at the beginning is exactly what was wrong with my ultrex... What happens is that the four screws which do not have loctite on them back out and allows the motor which controls the belt to spin which in turn pulls the wires against the zip tie which is supposed to hold them in place and breaks them... Just like the guy in the video said I don't understand why they didn't put heat resistant loctite on them but they should have.... So if you've got one of these trolling motors and you use it quite a bit I would warn you to be expecting this problem because chances are sooner or later it's going to happen... Especially if you use it quite a bit.... But it is something that I have found quite a bit of online to where other folks have had this problem that it's not aboard issue or sensor issue.... So and it's a pretty simple fix It takes a little bit of time to get to it You have to be handy with a soldering iron but it's not too bad of a job..

Jonathan Hillstrand

Thanks for posting.
    Sounds like it could be an issue for those who make long rough runs.. Can also see it being caused from trailering on rough roads..

I'm sure it's an issue just from normal usemay be a quality issue...as it goes down the line...a couple employees let em get by and installed without threadlocker........

Jonathan Hillstrand

14. Member
    Sure am glad for this post. Happened to mine this past Saturday in the big bass tour. One search on google and this thread was the first to show up, clicked on video and fixed myself within an hour, cost me $4 and about an hour of my time. So glad I didn’t have to send away to get looked at. Thank you for taking the time to make others aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Xpress4Sho View Post
    Sure am glad for this post. Happened to mine this past Saturday in the big bass tour. One search on google and this thread was the first to show up, clicked on video and fixed myself within an hour, cost me $4 and about an hour of my time. So glad I didn’t have to send away to get looked at. Thank you for taking the time to make others aware.
    I've been amazed at the amount of folks who actually keep their boats for longer than a few years that have this problem...folks that trade up every year look at me when I talk about this issue like I'm crazy...but it takes a while for this problem to come up...but I've known several folks who've had this exact issue...glad it helped you out and helped solved your problem...

Jonathan Hillstrand

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    The video that I posted at the beginning is exactly what was wrong with my ultrex... What happens is that the four screws which do not have loctite on them back out and allows the motor which controls the belt to spin which in turn pulls the wires against the zip tie which is supposed to hold them in place and breaks them... Just like the guy in the video said I don't understand why they didn't put heat resistant loctite on them but they should have.... So if you've got one of these trolling motors and you use it quite a bit I would warn you to be expecting this problem because chances are sooner or later it's going to happen... Especially if you use it quite a bit.... But it is something that I have found quite a bit of online to where other folks have had this problem that it's not aboard issue or sensor issue.... So and it's a pretty simple fix It takes a little bit of time to get to it You have to be handy with a soldering iron but it's not too bad of a job..
    I went back and watched the video. Don't doubt that is a issue. As and ASC we're told not to try and repair the steering module, just replace the module as a warranty repair if within the 3yr window. While an ASC, I saw my share of steering modules go bad, but most of the times the motor would pull more amps that the control board would handle and pop the internal fuse (bedded in epoxy), those blowing the control board also. This is a good video showing how to repair if in a bind, however, if its still under warranty, I would suggest taking it to an ASC for a steering module replacement.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Jones JTM View Post
    I went back and watched the video. Don't doubt that is a issue. As and ASC we're told not to try and repair the steering module, just replace the module as a warranty repair if within the 3yr window. While an ASC, I saw my share of steering modules go bad, but most of the times the motor would pull more amps that the control board would handle and pop the internal fuse (bedded in epoxy), those blowing the control board also. This is a good video showing how to repair if in a bind, however, if its still under warranty, I would suggest taking it to an ASC for a steering module replacement.
    John
    I took to my dealer and had both boards replaced under warranty.....nothing.....I told him that the way it was working and the way it quit working that day just didn't make sense to me for it to be either one of them..but we went ahead with it ...when it didn't work we pulled it apart and found what I thought we were gonna find which was exactly what was in this video...so I ended up with new interior boards plus a broken down and rebuilt "by us" head...

Jonathan Hillstrand